Monday 26 July 2021

Phoebe, chipping sparrows, vireos and a toad!

 Things are pretty busy out there. The chipping sparrows  are so cute. They are eating bugs like mad!

A phoebe visited us on the back deck railing. It was going after an LDD moth. Bless its little heart. I think it was one of the babies, as the adults never did that. (archive photo)


Everyone loves the lilac tree. I've noticed red-eyed vireos in it, as well. I figured out why. Saturday, I could hear a noise from the catalpa tree beside the house, just around the corner. 




I poked around a bit, and found a red-eyed vireo  nest. I could see a bird hopping around it. Sure enough, a little fledgling!

 

More critters... I was fiddling with the kiddie pool on the middle deck, it got wet and I'm trying to dry it and put it away. We'll be at the beach this week. I moved it, and found a toad. We moved here in September, 2010, and have not seen a toad here. What a lovely surprise!



On the front deck, the monarch has broken out of its chrysalis and flown away! One more still waiting. 

I hope the chrysalis ecloses when the girls are here, later today. We've a hostage exchange at noon. The driveway should be cured, and we can park in the garage. I took out the garbage in the sturdy green wheelbarrow at 7 a.m., and hope they stay off the end of the driveway.


8 comments:

Tom said...

...the more Monarchs the better!

RedPat said...

I love to see the toads!

Rain said...

Hi Jenn! :) Oh I love that toad shot!!! I don't see them here, but I can hear them. But maybe those are bull frogs...Chipping sparrows!! I saw my first ones here, I LOVE that they eat bugs!!! :)

Cloudia said...

The country is wonderful, J!

William Kendall said...

The toad looks quite stoic.

Red said...

Chipping sparrows with their new family are great to watch.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Wow, you have a lot going on. I love how you are so tuned into the world around you.

eileeninmd said...

Great sightings, I love the road and Monarch. I finally saw a Monarch at our butterfly bushes this week! Have a happy day!