Friday 11 February 2011

On such a winter's day

After such a winter's day...
My ribbons blew on the horizontal!
I decided to talk a walk in the forest the following day.

I forgot my walking stick. It really helps, especially to check out snow or water depth!

I did remember the backpack with my trusty water container, walkie talkie, GPS, hankie, camera, videocam.

Off I go. Deer path where they trod
After the first 30 minutes, off came the mitts and scarf, and I had to open my coat. I kept on chugging. Fascinated with the path, I thought the plan great: follow the deer tracks. They all lead back home anyway!!!

MISTAKE: much deer pee and poo on the path. Plus, the deer just walk under low-lying branches. I had a branch go under my glasses. Dumb move!

Granddaughter Josephine would be thrilled!
Where Bambi lay
If you ever wondered what the deer did at night, wonder no longer. Lots of places where they obviously nestled down into the snow, under the trees.

I've written lots about Reading the forest's story...
For it is a story.

Dead trees with holes in the bark. In summer it will be green, buggy, but now it is peaceful with a crisp, clean cold.

Why'd the deer poke her nose in the snow?!
I'm a liken' it here. :-)

Bog in winter, no walking here in summer without hipwaders!

Lovely day for a walk, too bad I waited until the clouds covered the sun!
Home, sweet home. 
Perhaps I should explain that the first part was a tumble in the forest! 
The first segment: what happens when you lose your footing and the camera is running!
Discovery of deer poo for Josephine (0:18). The beauty of the forest.

4 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh Jenn! Wonderful post and all I can say is your definition of "a walk" is quite different from mine. Even when I was much youngerer and merely a grandmother instead of a great one, I don't think I would have braved this one.

It looks like you had a great time in spite of minor mishaps.

SandyCarlson said...

Thank you for helping us to read this story. A beautiful walk!

Judy said...

Yesterday was a good day for a walk! I went to the Old Quarry Trail after work, and had a great time, till I found the deer. Then I almost froze to death taking their photos. But I stayed on the trails, so did not have to worry about getting lost.

Kay said...

How lucky you are, Jenn. However, do be careful out there. Thank you for sharing your woods with us.