Wednesday 5 May 2010

Cranberry Bog

Have you ever wondered how cranberries grow?
The bogs are very interesting pieces of the puzzle of Muskoka.

With shallow bogs, tons of granite, and lots of water, farmers do well to farm where they can.

Here and there you can find cranberries.These were on our little piece of paradise.

I like mine with peanut butter on toast!


The geese frequent the bog, as do ducks, snapping turtles, snakes and all sorts of critters.
The berries require lots of water, regulated by these mechanical systems.










We were made famous by Rick Mercer's trick wakeboarding in the bog one fall. The video below shows the workings of our local cranberry farm, as well as his play time.


5 comments:

A from TO said...

Don't forget the best
cranberry/blueberry wine every tasted comes from there-along with the cranberry sausages from Bala-delicious

Unknown said...

Thank you for the great tour of a cranberry bog -- very informative!
And your masthead photo is ethereal.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I love cranberries, I wrote about them around (US) Thanksgiving, when we were in Oregon -- they grow there too. I did not know they grew up there where you are. I didn't know they grew in Wisconsin either, but had a nice comment from a reader there who told cranberries are a major crop there as well.

Your post has made me hungry for them -- and we're not going to find any fresh ones now and especially not here in Florida.

But I loved the post anyway -- thanks!!

EG CameraGirl said...

Hey! I've been to Johnston's! Way cool. AND I do LOVE Rick Mercer!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jenn: What a fun report and loved the wake boarding. Neat photos from the bog.