Thursday 13 May 2010

Wearing a niqab for a day?

Chamselassil Ayari in a black, full-length gown holding a paper test stripWhat an interesting idea! I'm not sure what we can attribute the reactions to - the ones reported by the journalist. I do know that when teaching, if students wore outfits intended to intimidate, or obvious signs of gang membership, I was most uncomfortable. Perhaps, it is not knowing the beliefs of the person, this certainly creates a divide between one another.

I think that it does show how fearful we are when we cannot see the face of one with whom we are interacting. Everyone accepts it. Covering one's whole body seems to indicate that there is something to hide. It is not part of Islamic law, but a cultural one. I know that when I encounter punks, or kids dressed in interesting ways I am fearful because I am not sure of what they will do.

So much a part of our communication is through body language and facial expressions. Bandits always wore masks, and I can understand a fearful reaction by clerks. I am totally shocked at the religious intolerance, however. But this is in Germany, not hugely multicultural Toronto.


What do you think?

An unusual perspective: I wore a niqab for a day in a major German city
What is it like to live as a woman who covers her face with a veil in Germany? A Deutsche Welle reporter tried it out for a day and reported on the reactions she received.

2 comments:

Grandma K said...

Personally, I think she was very brave. There is such animosity in the world for that part of the world's population that I would be afraid. But then I am a coward.

Jenn Jilks said...

I taught school in an Ottawa area school with a 70% population of Lebanese/Arabic/Muslim students. Many of my gr. 8's wore a hijab, and in Toronto it's not a big deal.

The niqab is another issue.