Monday 3 May 2010

Muskoka Bug Alerts


Mosquitoes have woken.
Normally, the blackflies die out with the heat after May, and the mosquitoes take over in June.

Whether or not it is climate change, that depends upon a change of years...I will say that the bugs are all a month early.

The mosquitoes have hatched, as well as the blackflies. Normally blackflies ease off, blackflies feed on blueberry pollen, while mosquitoes dream of June days. But those female blackflies are hungry. In order to be fertile they need blood. This is true of the 'squitoes, and we have it with both barrels.


Blackflies have reared their ugly little heads a month earlier than their normal May awakening. They are, indeed, early as I predicted. Warm temperatures, not necessarily Climate Change unless there is a long-term change. But read all my bug posts here!

They are the worst on a windless day. Wear a hat, with long sleeved shirts. They like to get in behind my sunglasses on a sunny day.

They have been slowly working their way north, despite weather forecasters telling us they shouldn't be bad this year. So far...they are merciless.

The blackfly landed on me, eager to bite out a hole and eat my blood! 


This external post explains how mosquitoes work.








I spotted a June bug on April 30th.


winged friendsSpiders and moths are out and about, as well. The tent caterpillars are having a feast.

The starlings are busy in the swamps eating their fill. Bless their little souls.

There are a variety of bugs in Muskoka! That incredible food chain. But the fish are now jumping and the birds are happy.

4 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

I recently went o down to the Hill country of Texas for a fishing trip and there bugs everywhere.

Unknown said...

Why is paradise filled with the likes of the black fly?! not to mention the mosquito!
For us this spring it is the ticks out in record numbers -- I pulled 5 from my hair on Friday morning after a walk........... boo hiss.
from Helen
http://helenmac-fabiusdaybyday.blogspot.com/

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jenn: You can definitely keep the black flies. We have enough to fight with the mosquitoes.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Hi again Jenn. Here in humid/hot (already) SW Florida, we might have you beat for bugs! I have to spray with suntan lotion on top of bug spray in order to hike anywhere that is remotely untamed. I feel permanently sticky after any nature walk. Ah spring ;>)

Thank you for the link to your earlier post on ducks/geese/and dandelions -- fun to read and that was posted before I started to follow your blog.