Monday 14 September 2009

My World Tuesday XLIX

Fall is upon us. The bulrushes are good to go. Aboriginal peoples used them for all sorts of things, the fuzz absorbs moisture.
But all was not well in the rest of the pond.
This is the before:


Here is the pond on Aug. 13, after 6 weeks that brought us lovely evening showers quite regularly.

Here is the 'after'.

That masked bandit again... frog pond ripped apart.

The beautiful water hyacinth torn out, the weeds that put oxygen back into the muddy pond water - all floating useless on the top of the water.
frog pond
I know it was the raccoons, raccoon poop all over the rocks where they sat and munched. (No photos of that :-)
I ended up transplanting them else where. I know they will grow back. Like the First Nations, who lived 50 years in a settlement and then moved on, these bandits won't likely raid the pond again. I hope. Like the First Nations encampments, they left the long houses the land it regenerated, renewed itself, and the cycle of life continued.
I visited an excavated site once near Prescott. From the ROM: Ontario Iroquoians are made up of three groups: the Huron, the Petun and the Neutral. The Iroquoian peoples lived in the southern part of Ontario, and had a culture similar to the Iroquois of New York state.

The tadpoles must have been startled. Here is one is a near-by creek.

tadpole
This big guy didn't seem happy with the situation, either. He moved right out of the pond. He wasn't going to be anyone's dinner!

frog
Visit more worlds by clicking on the meme badge.
MWT White

7 comments:

Cloudia said...

Seeing tadpoles makes me feel young again! Thanks Jenn


aloha

Comfort Spiral

Gaelyn said...

Oh my, what a mess that masked bandit did make.

The cattails root is quite delicous.

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures Jenny!
This is the time to enjoy our beautiful nature and invite visitors to celebrate with us the change of seasons.
Gisela
Thank you for your comments.

Jayne said...

Oh my... the poor, poor pond! Did you take out a warrant for their arrest? ;c)

eileeninmd said...

It is still a beautiful pond, I love cattails. Thanks for sharing.

Jenn Jilks said...

Now, I have never tasted cattails! I still love our masked bandits, even if they did make a mess. Their fighting in the wee hours of the morning is rather disruptive to sleep, but entertaining.

I know the pond is at the end of its season and that it will recover next spring. I was so shocked with the sight, though! Usually I hear them screaming at each other in the night fights.

Irene said...

Awesome frog..haven't seen tadpoles and frogs for a while. I'm watching blogs for fall and then winter...coming from a tropical island.