Thursday 29 August 2024

Bugs and blooms

Wednesday was an interesting day. I was worried about the rainfall. We didn't have any!  I did some weeding, while Joe went for a walk and a grocery shop in the morning. Cold mornings, but no snow, unlike out west!

It was chilly. Which isn't unusual as it is meteorological Autumn here. I ended up nearly falling asleep in my chair, and I trundled off to bed for a one-hour nap. This is so unlike me! I woke up cold. Joe made me a cup of tea, and I felt better. 

He brought me home some peaches as I had a plan. PEACH CRISP! Also, some spaghetti for dinner with fresh basil from my planter.

 My garden clean up is going well. As I worked, I spotted a 60cm garter snake. I was sorry to disturb it, eating all those bazillion crickets! 

My goal was to get rid of the weeds and their seeds ASAP. It was bad the day the wasp got me, but that has healed. Tuesday, it was the bees. I was so careful. Bless their little hearts, they are working hard. 

During the big clean up, it occurred to me that I have too many white flowers on either side of the sidewalk! There is the white Trumpet flower vine, sitting in a pot with white petunias. Beyond it is the Angel's Trumpet – more white flowers. Even the hibiscus is white! All within a few metres. 



I noticed our first Monarch caterpillar had disappeared, and it has eclosed Tuesday. I was there for it! They have to hang to let their wings unfurl and lock into place. I let it be. Soon it was gone. FAREWELL!
The second one will take a bit more time. 



On the back deck, baby tree frog is still hanging around! It slept in the sun all day on Tuesday. 

The kids came home from their canoe camping trip. More on the later! Poor Aster re injured an old Aikido leg injury. I went to bed before they arrived home. More later!

12 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

I think eclosed is a word I just discovered this year of my life. No idea why it wasn't used around me before, or enough for me to learn about it. It surely shows such an amazing thing that nature has developed. Your new monarch is so wonderful to see. Looking forward to hearing about the canoe trip adventures. And I think the idea of white flowers is great...since they are set off by so much greenery.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
That frog could double as a paperweight! How wonderful to see the Monarchs complete their cycle... YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

I like white flowers but it's good to have colour too. Four of our six pots out front are mostly white.

Jeanie said...

I love your tree frog! Peach crisp is definitely my favorite go-to for summer. And you can't beat fresh basil in a spaghetti sauce!

tz_garden said...

Peach crisp sounds perfect!

Divers and Sundry said...

It's still hot here, though the flowers are faded. We haven't had rain in... I can't remember how long. I'm excited about the garter snake, the monarchs, and the tree frogs.

RedPat said...

Love the Monarch and your wee tree frog.

Elephant's Child said...

No rain here either. We need it. I hear you on trying to get the weeding done before they set seed, and fear I am doomed to failure. Again. We once planted a 'white garden' but colour crept in.

Nancy J said...

White flowers do brighten up any garden. The monarchs, I am always in awe of their life cycle, and the unfurling and flapping as their new life begins.Hope you have some more warm days before winter arrives.

Red said...

the deer eat my white petunias. I wonder if they like other white flowers.

DeniseinVA said...

It is a wonder those bees can fly with all the pollen on their tiny legs. I like your white flowers. Yum! Can I come to your house for dinner? I may have said it before but I absolutely love your bird sculptures. Naps are good, this coming from someone who can fall asleep sitting up :0 The frog is a handsome one. Thank you for another great view of nature in your part of the world.

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like your tree frog.

All the best Jan