Saturday 3 August 2024

Camera Critters

Joe had a great result on his PSA test, and had his Lupron injection, his cancer treatment. The poor man: Lyme Disease, then COVID. We've both tested negative, but side effects remain. However, we remain in the land of the living. We tag teamed to wash the sheets yesterday. I put on the mattress protector, then rested. Next the fitted sheet, rested. You get the drift. We cancelled Gramma Camp next week. I am so sad.

The cats left him a gift in his office. Wasn't that sweet of them?! 

 I've been so discouraged with my COVID cough, now that I tested negative. Finally, on Thursday I made it down to check out the 3 trailcams. I imagined, in the 17 days since I contracted COVID, what could be going on down there. I imagined the batteries dead, or our bear working away at it, etc. Common issues amongst those of us who have camera traps. All of us laugh about it!

It turned out that the batteries were fine, because there wasn't much critter traffic. The 3rd camera only grabbed a fuzzy shot of the doe. The dock camera (#2) did well. I was so curious! I could see the Muskrat snuffling about, eating the native phragmites. (I'd tip toed down!) 

This is a screen shot from a June video. 

The poor muskrat family, which I assume is still living under the dock, judging by the mammal traffic, must be having a fit.  Usually they create a dome in the middle of the pond from the phragmities, hollowing out one for a home, another for a food cache. This is an example of old push up, it sort of melted over the winter of 2016. 


There are 3 more videos from camera #1: a wee skunk, baby butch in the daylight, Booboo bear, a coyote peeing 😏, and more of the fisher. I'll post them anon.

 Butch has two kits. Good work!

 

Butch and kits on the dock from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Our weasel was checking things out. This is unedited, it came back twice in a minute. The camera is set to capture a 1-minute video. 

 

weasel on the dock from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Then there is the fisher. A scary critter for the muskrats.

fisher from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Saturday's Critters # 555 <= for more critters!

17 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh yes, a great collection of critters. Thanks for sharing. It shows me how much difference there is in our lives...that you have all these wild animals around you! (and a few brought inside as gifts for the master!)

Anvilcloud said...

Congrats on getting out there, especially in the heat.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm glad y'all are recovering from COVID. It surprises me that so many people are acting like COVID is a thing of the past. I still wear a mask in places like the grocery store. Let them mock!

You have such wild wildlife! Exciting!

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Great shot of that Fisher! Those are not easy to get on camera. I posted a few of my trail cam pictures today as well!

RedPat said...

Too bad about the gramma camp being cancelled but hopefully it can be rescheduled fora few weeks from now.

Nancy J said...

Wildlife galore, all so cute apart from the Fisher. No need for the gift though!!!

Elephant's Child said...

I am so glad (and grateful) that you could get out. I hear you on bed making requiring rests Clean sheets are wunnaful though.

Yvonne said...

Wonderful videos and photos, and a loving gift from the cats :) I'm glad things are a bit better.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm so sorry you are both dealing with health issues. It sure helps to share the work. Love your critters...scary critters!

Red said...

Good that you are well enough to check the cameras. You got some interesting stuff.

DUTA said...

It seems you have both overcome Covid. That's great! Hopefully, your recovery is soon going to be perfect.

GreenComotion said...

Quite the collection of critters and then the "gift" :)
Take care and be well, Jenn!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Glad to read the health news is improving... and that you got out and about a bit. That Fisher means business, eh?! YAM xx

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jenn :)
I love visiting your blog because your wildlife is so different from the wildlife here. I have never seen any of the creatures you caught on camera, and enjoyed my visit very much.

I sympathise with you recovering from COVID, having had it myself, and know that it really saps all energy out of you.I hope you feel better soon.
All the best
Sonjia.

Mae Travels said...

I hope you’ll soon be back to robust health and put all the many diseases behind you.
best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Val Ewing said...

Cool videos! Well, it seems you are a bit better if you can get out to the cameras!

One critter I have not seen it a Fisher! Beautiful!

eileeninmd said...

Great captures of the critters. I like the cool fisher.
I hope you are back to normal soon. Sorry I am late visiting and commenting. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and happy week ahead. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.