Wednesday 28 August 2024

Summer playtime

We're both still managing cold symptoms. Mine is in my sinuses, Joe cannot hear, even with his hearing aids. Nothing to do but treat symptoms, and try to relax. 🎾 Tennis didn't help. Our Canadians aren't achieving up to their potential! 

Our Ottawa kids are canoe camping in Algonquin Park. They plan on swimming, canoodling, visiting a couple of lakes, and having a grand time. Tuesday I was watching the weather. A storm rolled in, a north/south system, moving east. 

The kids launched at Achray Campground. We are in Lanark County. The clouds rolled in during the afternoon. 

There was some lightning, but not a great deal. This is a good thing.

Sunday, they grabbed their canoe and then headed on south to a portage, and then east along another lake. And another portage. They are really good at it, freeze drying foods, planning the menu, fitting food into the bear resistant container. They knew the rain would come. I'm sure they put tarps over their cooking area. 

There is another storm on the way today. I hope the kids aren't soaked. They are experienced campers, however. 

Their intended route!
Camping on St. Andrews Lake

Muskoka

I was looking back at summer, beach time photos. This is Isabelle, now known as Aster, in Muskoka. She is 14 now. 😜😝😅  


Jo and I liked to canoodle. Jo is 16 years old, now!

This is me, back in the day when I had perms! 


My parents bought this canoe for me when I was 15! We left it for the new owners when we moved here to Perth. I loved that canoe. It never tipped. Nice wide gunnel.
Caitlin, with Aster in the snugly, Jo on the dock. 


When the kids were here for Gramma Camp, before I sold my Lanark County canoe, we'd go out on the nearby lake. My old back precludes it now. 


Enough reminiscing... I am enjoying our backyard and the back deck. This is a panoramic photo, taken with my phone. I'm getting better at it! The clouds rolled in.


I heard the Eastern Wood Pewee! 

The quilted bag holds all my equipment. This was a lovely 60th birthday gift from JEAN. Such a kind person.  I've been sketching on the back deck, finally relaxed enough to do so. 


 

I was playing around with this drawing. I found an old How-To Draw book we used during Gramma Camps. It had stickers that worked really well! 


12 comments:

Mae Travels said...

Comparing old kiddie photos to the way they are now is fun. Sorry you are having so much trouble with the colds. We. had a lot of rain yesterday too.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

eileeninmd said...

Great photos of the kids and I like the Pewee! Take care, enjoy your day!

Divers and Sundry said...

The lake shots look like fun was had by all, but I also like the bird-watching you can do now and that view from your deck.

RedPat said...

I'd rather be sitting on your deck than out is a storm in Algonquin. Time to relax.
Thanks fro the nice comment today.

Shug said...

I love the little drawing. You did a great job. I sure admire those that go kayaking and canoeing. It seems so relaxing and peaceful. I can't swim, so I've never tried either. Prayers for your kiddos safety. I hope they do have a fun filled, and safe trip.

Barbara Rogers said...

What nice photos from the past, when the grands were little and you had that great canoe! Love the bag, and kudos to you for starting to draw again. Great idea. Looking forward to your creativity.

Anvilcloud said...

What a day of tennis that was. At least Leylah and Bianca made a good go of it. But the only guy to advance was a guy who I don't yet know -- Diallo.

Cloudia said...

That is a cool bag! I sure hope you both feel better very soon. Aloha to your family

Elephant's Child said...

It is decades since I have canoed. I wonder why?

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Impressed with your kids being experienced canoers. Me, I'd do three or four miles and then lets head back to the cabin and go to the brewery.
I love how you keep yourself busy. You can't do what you used to do so you do what you can. Like me and my running. I don't run any longer but I walk and my total milage is not that much different from when I ran.

Red said...

Nothing wrong with looking back at the good old days. I like your stories about family.

Jeanie said...

I hope they didn't get the same rain we did!