Sunday 18 August 2024

Flower power!

 UPDATE: 🎂 Caitlin's flowers arrived Friday! Happy Momma! What do you give the woman who has everything? We haven't been out anywhere to shop. 

Caitlin had a surprise. She told me they were all going out to dinner. JL fooled her. He'd invited one of her good friends and her family for dinner and cake! Jo made the upside down pineapple cake. 

 

I'm still fatigued and babying my vocal cords. Joe is doing better, but a residual cough. 

I was down at the trailcams and the mushrooms are beginning to emerge. I haven't decided what to do with my tree trunk. It was encroaching on the goldfish pond. 

 

Hibiscus and roses!



Cinnamon's favourite place is the garage. I know there are mice friends in there. We don't want them in the house. They get into the garbage cans and can't get out. He prefers the top of the car as a vantage point.


My ONE pumpkin is doing well.



The cherry tomatoes are still bearing fruit. In the sunrise, I spotted a strange double spider web. It almost looks like an owl.

I've only seen two Monarch caterpillars. This is #2. I'm sure we have more. 
Katydid, I think, on the pumpkin leaf:

I was sitting on the back deck, reading, when I heard a bird. Merlin told me it was Osprey. The thumbnail is from their nest which is just down the road. If you run the video you can hear them talking to one another.


osprey pair Aug 16 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

14 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

It's raining gently out. I hope you have a good indoor day.

Val Ewing said...

Wow, you sure have the flowers blooming! That hibiscus is beautiful...along with all the others.
Ospreys are such incredible birds.
Sounds like you are on a slow mend. One day at a time!

Barbara Rogers said...

I like Osprey almost as much as Eagles. They're both powerful hunters, and several ornithologists have set up cameras so we can see them nesting in the spring, which I enjoy. Good to see Monarch caterpillars!

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Do you ever eat any of the mushrooms you find? I bought a book on how to identify them. but too date and not daring enough to eat any of them.

Nancy J said...

Jenn, the flowers are so beautiful, and an extra large bouquet. Love the surprise. The osprey, Huge birds and how do they manage to build their nests so well and up so high? Engineers with wings.

RedPat said...

I love Cinnamon sprawled on the top of the car.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
How wonderful to have Osprey near by! The flowers (garden and bouquet) are beautiful. YAM xx

David M. Gascoigne, said...

We were up in Algonquin Provincial Park for a couple of days last week. Lots of mushrooms popping up.

Christine said...

Happy Birthday to Caitlin once more!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i always see folks playing with snakes and it looks way cool but i just don't have the courage to do so. LOL!! i am sorry to hear you are under the weather, you both will feel well soon. take care. i am glad for a bit of less humid weather hoping for fall soon. ( ;

tz_garden said...

Beautiful rosebud, Cinnamon always knows how to enjoy life!

Jeanie said...

What a wonderful birthday celebration. I'm so glad you were well enough to enjoy it!

Elephant's Child said...

Love the flowers and the spider web. Yay for the ospreys. I am glad that you are being gentle to yourself.

Divers and Sundry said...

Pretty summer flowers. It's nice to have a cat that's willing to work at reducing the mouse population. That looks like a nice-shaped pumpkin for Halloween. Congrats on the monarch caterpillars!