Wednesday 31 July 2024

The garden is out of control!

I am 5'4" (was? I know we shrink as we age), so you can see how tall these are!


Do you like Tiger Lilies? Normally, I put up a few stakes with string to hold them back. Ain't gonna happen this year.

The plants are eye level to me. Their pollen is quite something. It is blood red. 

The pumpkin, or maybe it is squash. Anyone recognize it? I planted both here and I'm that kind of gardener. The banana is for scale!


The woodland sunflowers have to be 6' tall. They are native.



And my precious second lily plant is in bloom.

I ordered myself a new sprinkler. I am tired of losing plants to dry spells! It saves me standing there, and gives it a good, long soak, for which I've little patience. Cinnamon helped. I mixed up the settings for the trip pin. I had to change out of soaking wet jammies. 

August is normally dry. I hate seeing the crackly plants as they wilt. This makes me happy. I haven't bought a sprinkler since we moved here (2010) so I feel justified! 

 

The Tiger Lilies host lots of critters. I photographed a Bumble Bee, and a Katydid. Also, hummingbirds like it.

 

😷 COVID UPDATE – Tuesday/Wednesday, July 30/31

Thanks for your support during our health issues. I hope none of you get this. We are slowly getting better, but giving ourselves permission to be couch potatoes. It is difficult, as you know. Today I shall venture down to the trailcams. That is my goal. The doctor said he couldn't do anything for me, so I'm treating symptoms. Otrivin at bedtime, saline nasal spray for sinusitis, Ventolin puffer, Subicort puffer, cough drops, orange juice. I slept from 12:30 until 5:45. This is good.

The coughing during the day is like a bad cold I used to have in the old days. Colds such as I haven't had a serious one since I retired (2006). I have a bit of a voice back, but it is clearly an Alto voice. Kinda weird. 
The best thing is to clear my lungs to avoid pneumonia, but sleep is such a blessing, dontcha know.

16 comments:

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Holy crap! You better not fall into that garden, or it will consume you!

RedPat said...

Your garden is looking lovely in the pics.
Glad you are recovering even if it is slowly.

Anvilcloud said...

It's nice to see tiger lilies. What many call tiger lilies aren't. Congrats on the health improvement.

DrumMajor said...

Sorry your cold=like covid is taking so long. Doing nothing is good for the body. I thought the squirrels and God had planted a gooseneck yellow squash across from my garden in the grass by a short wall. It grew huge and had lovely yellow flowers, but most of the flowers just dropped off. We noticed two round yellow forms in all of that vine. Then we saw one that was a white small pumpkin, just like a tiny one I purchased 2 years ago. No more gourds formed, so I yanked it out before it attracts squash bugs. It was running over my pretty blue cascading leadwort plumbago flowers. Linda in Kansas

Cloudia said...

I love your native sunflowers thank you for sharing them. Still pulling for you and praying you feel better and better soon. Both of you. Aloha!

Val Ewing said...

The garden looks luscious!

Hopefully your Covid symptoms quickly subside.
:(

Nancy J said...

The garden is thriving, and the sprinkler, that is such a good way, and if it is like one we had, you can adjust where the water squirts go, just not on yourself !!! Hope today is better for you both. The regime looks like you need a spreadsheet to time it all. XXX

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Abundance!!! Lily pollen can be a pain on clothing, though... Glad to hear there is some improvement - day by day. YAM xx

MELODY JACOB said...

I hope you’re feeling better soon. It’s tough dealing with COVID and the side effects. Your approach to symptom management sounds sensible, and getting some rest will surely help. Take care of yourself and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I just posted a new blog post, please read: https://www.melodyjacob.com/2024/07/how-to-style-cowboy-hat-denim-on-denim-fashion-tips.html

Elephant's Child said...

Loving your garden. It doesn't take long to get out of control does it?
I am thrilled that you are finally getting better.

Tom said...

...out of control and happy!

Gaelyn said...

I love all your giant tall flowers! Mostly, concerned about both of your health. Take it easy, or any way you can get it.

Barbara Rogers said...

It's harder to come back to normal from a sickness as we get older. Nobody told me that, but it's a difficult lesson that I've learned. Much of thinking the baby steps will help. Loved tiger lilies, your real lilies, and sunflower. Cool sprinkler system! This elder lady is plodding along in much the same way (though no Covid here) and naps are so adorable!

Christine said...

Gorgeous

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your Tiger Lilies are beautiful! Glad you are beginning the recovery from Covid, be kind to yourself!

Divers and Sundry said...

I love out of control gardens and tiger lilies.