Friday 5 July 2024

Moths and bears!

 We are caught up in tennis. It's been fun having a distraction. JB is still tired, but improving every day. 

This large moth is an antheraea polyphemus, a North American moth. They are as large as butterflies, which would have been a better title: Butterflies and bears, but there you go.


This is an Imperial moth found on the front deck in June 2012.



I am still wondering what these are. Imperial Moths or bats? I did some research. 

The Imperial Moth has a particular relationship with its environment. It only lives a week. It doesn't eat, either. I haven't seen the caterpillars, I don't think. Female moths lay eggs on the foliage of host plants, where caterpillars feed on leaves from  Maple, Oaks, and Pine trees. 

I could sit out there and try to video them, but I'd need to stay up late and put on bug spray or a fur coat!

 

bugs or bats? from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I popped down to the trailcams (long sleeves, bug spray), and found the camera askew. I got all excited! We haven't seen them around the house, they follow the shore of the wetland around us. They are smart bears and wary of humans. The former gun range in behind this island in the wetland. The bears don't like tromping in the wetland water. I've tracked them around it.


Papa Bear came by June 26th. That fur coat must protect him from the bugs!

 

Papa Bear from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

June 29th Booboo Bear came by. First he mauls the camera, scares himself, and then poops in front of it. Seriously!

 

June 29 Booboo from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Butch Racoon is giving McGregor Muskrat a hard time. Both Booboo and Butch. 

Butch & muskrat from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

13 comments:

eileeninmd said...

I love the moth and the bear! Take care, have a wonderful day and happy weekend!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I've missed most of this year's tennis (and Tour de France) due to having to scuttle about the country for various events... love that moth and of course the animal antics are always fun! YAM xx

Barbara Rogers said...

Fantastic flying critters...I haven't ever seen bats flying, so don't know, but these might be pretty small for them. Silly old bears!

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

They don't eat at all after becoming a moth? I do not want to be a moth, I want to be a bear, they eat a lot!

Divers and Sundry said...

What a huge moth! And to only live a week... Natural History is a fascinating subject, and creature life cycles vary so much.

Karen said...

We had one young fellow walk by and give the camera a kiss. It has been awhile since we've seen one. The fox ran by with something small with a long tail in it's mouth. Not sure if it was a squirrel or a baby raccoon, he was on the MOVE. I think the raccoons have taken up residence in the neighbours barn right behind us.

Anvilcloud said...

Two ends of the size spectrum.

Jeanie said...

Papa Bear is pretty darned big! I think I'll stick with the moth!

Aritha V. said...

What a nice moth!

Elephant's Child said...

Moths are often just as beautiful as butterflies aren't they?

Kay said...

Beautiful moths! I've never seen anything like it.

Uuuummm.... I hope you don't ever run into a bear in the woods. I've been hearing about some bear attacks that are spooky.

Red said...

the camera gives you many stories.

DrumMajor said...

But I didn't see the baby bear get excited about pooing like the toilet paper bear in the commercial! Just be safe! Linda in Kansas