Saturday 27 July 2024

Camera Critters

Thursday

 I let the cats out for their 6 a.m. run before breakfast. We let 7 cats in the front door the rest of the day, Thursday. We only have two cats. Now, I'm kinda foggy, not over COVID. I had to think that through and puzzle it out. I think, barring the Cosmic Joker, that since I opened up a couple of screen doors, the wind was blowing after our tornadoes. Things are calmer, though. I could hear the door bang. We'll go with that explanation! Things is, we closed the front door at noon. They still got out after dinner. 😳😳😳

To their credit they didn't bring home any dinner, although we ought to look into deworming meds soon. 

Joe looked everywhere to find a torn screen or open basement door. We couldn't see this opening. After dinner Cinnamon was busted. I grabbed his bum in one hand, his tail in my other. He was most disgruntled. Gorilla Tape to the rescue! I do think it was Nutmeg, though. 




🐢Turtles
On May 3rd, Joe rescued a turtle, hit by a car awhile back, right in front of our house. He took it to Perth Vet. From there it went to the turtle rehab place, Ontario Turtle Conservation Centre. It's been fixed up and is being returned to the area. Volunteers came to our door and want to release it Saturday on a nearby lake.  Thing is they didn't know where the closest lake was. We don't have lake access, and they refused to let them go in our frog pond. We directed them to the Otty Lake Facebook page. Most people on the lake look after shorelines, and prepare fish egg laying habitats, and plant shoreline vegetation. They have a wonderful association. 


Second piece of good news, Joe took in another turtle, quite dead. The rehab harvested the eggs from her and they are getting close to being released. I haven't seen too many lately. We've seen the little ones around over the years. This is a wee one, and a juvenile. They live on land for two years, then off they go. 


🦌I was looking out the back door in the dark one night, and there was a doe sitting on the lawn. 
 

doe from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

She came back the next evening.

Funny story about my COVID cough. I've been going outside to cough. Fresh air, and spitting phlegm over the back deck. It seems better than into the sink. It is an offensive sound, poor Joe. I was doing that and Fred was out there. He looked up at me, the way a dog does with head almost tilted (archive photo!). I laughed (silently) at him. "What the heck?" 
At this point I am certain we aren't having babies. 

I've not been down to the trailcams in two weeks. The last time I was there I saw our buck hanging out in the frog pond. 

A porcupine, the dark blob in the video. You can hear the barred owl, chick and adult in the background.

porcupine from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Friday

At 10 a.m., I had a coughing fit and went out to the back deck to cough and spit it out. Look who I saw! 


buck and doe from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


They ↑ disappeared, and I could our local hawks yelling. They do that frequently. Video camera in hand, luckily, there were a pair of eagles soaring. The hawks were not amused. People on our local lake had taken photos of them nesting from their kayaks. They nested about 4 km away. 


eagles and hawk from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Saturday's Critters # 554

20 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Great critters! I love the cute turtle, the deer and the eagle is awesome.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Anu said...

Glad the turtle got help. Great that there are volunteer wildlife helpers. The little turtles are cute looking.

Val Ewing said...

Great videos! The Eagles will come back to our area as soon as the Turkey Vultures start to migrate back south.

We do have them but they are not as visible as they are all winter long.

I've been seeing bucks in velvet also. I've seen some very nice ones!

:)

Barbara Rogers said...

It always amazes me when smaller birds go after bigger ones. So good to see your deer again. Those crazy cats of yours...deciding to escape at their leisure! Hope the cough subsides soon. I'm a bit better today, so far.

DrumMajor said...

Nice you got outside. If you see vultures circling in that assortment of critters, maybe you should revisit the doc? Linda in Kansas

Mae Travels said...

I hope you are soon over this terrible illness!
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Aw, no Fredlets... maybe next year? YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

Can't shake that cough, eh?

Jeanie said...

I've been a bad commenter -- it's hard getting to blogs up here at art camp. But I've been reading daily and following your Covid journey. I feel so bad for you two -- what a horrible struggle this has been and I so admire how you've hung in there. Sending all good wishes your way. I hope every single day is better for you and I'll try to be a better commenter when I get back home!

RedPat said...

It is so good that the turtle has recovered.
I still sometimes can't see your videos. Who knows s what goes on with blogger.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I hope you feel much better soon. I love the Eagle...haven't seen one in awhile! Feels so good to watch one soar! Hugs!

tz_garden said...

Dang, I hope you are feeling better. That nasty cough can hang on a while. Love the turtle stories, so great.

Elephant's Child said...

Excellent news on the turtle front.
I do marvel at your critters. Thank you.

DeniseinVA said...

You do have wonderful sightings and I am so appreciative of you sharing with us. Always enjoyed immensely. Your love of everything in nature comes through loud and clear. The story of the turtles is very heartwarming. My sister-in-law is a volunteer who looks after several turtle egg nests throughout the laying season. We have learned a lot through her knowledge as she has grown into this. I feel the same way with all the wildlife you share with us. Do hope your Covid symptoms go away soon. It's dreadful to be so sick and I'll keep sending those good energy vibes your way for speedy healing.

The Furry Gnome said...

Great picture of the eagle! I'm not the one allowed to pick the spent day lily blooms.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Wish you were getting better. I thought you had turned the corner, but maybe not. LOVE the eagle and the deer videos. Your cats are sure troublemakers if left to their own devices. SO glad that little turtle is going to survive.

Ontario Wanderer said...

Nice turtle work!

Crafty Green Poet said...

I'm glad the turtle could be helped and interesting that they could harvest the eggs from the dead turtle

Breathtaking said...

Hello, It's been a while, and I'm so sorry you have COVID and I hope your terrible cough clears up soon. Great sightings and images Lovely shot of the eagle and the deer, and I'm so glad the turtle you rescued was released back into the wild and I enjoyed seeing the baby turtle too. I didn't know they live on land for the first two years of their life.The turtle rescue centre do a great job, and nature lovers like yourself also, for taking them there.
Get well soon
All the best
Sonjia.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Those turtle stories are heartwarming. It's great that you're recovering.