Wednesday 9 August 2023

We had visitors!

 I've been limited to the house, which is fine by me, but we were going to look for a new countertop and taps for the bathroom. I am still limping about. The leaky tap is on hold! The trick will be to find another sink counter top that works with this one. 

JB fetched us pizza for dinner. What have I been doing? Not much, I tell ya. 

⚽ I tried taping the women's soccer for JB, but 23 minutes in France was already up 3 - 0 over Morocco, so that wasn't really a game. Columbia and Jamaica spent most of the game diving. No fun for viewers. The US/Sweden game was great. There was little diving for penalty kicks. Canada doesn't dive, either.

🎾 Tennis was exciting, with Milos Raonic coming back after years away with injuries. There was a 20-minute tie breaker, and he managed 229 kph serving. He's gotten married during his time off, she's a cutie. It was a nail biter of a game.

Milos Raonic

⛲ My new water fountain pump arrived, but I cannot fix the fountain with my foot like this. The section I tipped over weighs about 30 lbs. 

Just when I thought the excitement for the morning was done, I went out front to check out the Asiatic Lilies.


I was busily doing photos, gingerly being careful of my foot, and I heard a noise. Way up on the Internet satellite, a hawk. 

 

hawk 1 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I think a sharp-shinned rough-legged hawk, but I don't know. It sat up there, then I dashed out to the back deck to watch. What a surprise! I had so much time that I put the videocamera on the tripod. 


hawk from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

It turns out there are a pair of them! Aug. 8 11:30 a.m.

13 comments:

Jeanie said...

OK I'm reading backwards and your foot issue doesn't sound good. Hope all gets better soon. That hawk is amazing.

Barbara Rogers said...

What a gift, and the one sitting on the box seemed quite happy to be checking out your area. They both were very sweet since I'm quite sure they saw you out of their all encompassing hunters eyes.

DrumMajor said...

Amazing! Guess there won't be any mice or tiny critters in your yards. Linda in Kansas

Divers and Sundry said...

Hawks are exciting! I've enjoyed what of the World Cup I could see. I could see USA/Sweden, and I agree it was great.

I hope your ankle heals quickly.

Anvilcloud said...

Won or lose, Raonic is usually reliable. You never know what most of our others are going to do on any given day.

Christine said...

Wishing you Swift healing for the ankle!

Karen said...

Birds have been pretty quiet around my patch the last week or so. I've just moved the tower pole with the hooks out by the front garden. See if that helps. We have a momma bear and twin cubs around our place. I haven't seen her yet but the guy across the road saw the little family meandering up the back lane. we've seen scat.

RedPat said...

Hope the foot recovers soon. If only we didn't need to put weight on them.

Elephant's Child said...

I am sorry to read that your ankle is still giving you grief.
Love your visitors.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nice Hawk...they are sneaky around here and zip in and grab smaller birds just like that.

Red said...

Some of these hawks will sit there as if they owned the place.

Patio Postcards said...

Jenn I am sorry to read that your ankle is still a challenge for you. Your Hawk visitor is certainly magnificent, although I wouldn't want one around to bother my chipmunk friends. And the family are certainly having fun in New Zealand.

William Kendall said...

What a thing to see hawks.