Saturday 19 August 2023

Saturday's Critters

 I've been having fun watching Fred Groundhog for months. I haven't seen any kits. I somehow think there aren't any, despite nesting behaviour. You can see Fred peeking out just under the laundry tree.


I moved closer, and nearly stepped on a teeny young garter snake. I managed to snap it with its tongue out. 


I checked on Fred's newest tunnel. It goes from the right to the left, and Fred was watching me.

I moved the rock to see what Fred was up to, tons of ant eggs!

Ant eggs from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Down at the trailcams...

A doe, two, and a buck:

deer Aug 9 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We've had some more rain, 15mm on Friday morning. The critters amble around.

rainy forest buck from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I am having fun watching the skunk. It seems to be coming back quite regularly. I noticed some divots from where they have been digging for grubs. Bless their little hearts.
 

Skunk Aug. 14 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Saturday's Critters # 505 <= Thanks to Eileen for hosting! 

10 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Great critters, love the tiny garter snake, the deer and the skunk.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Barbara Rogers said...

All those sweet critters! Their lives of moseying along, sniffing, looking, sometimes tasting! But at a pace which makes my heart even slow down watching them. The summer of Fred without kids!

Anvilcloud said...

That's a tiny snake, and you are not squeamish.

Jeanie said...

I don't think I would have picked up that snake even for such a great photo!

Olga said...

You sure have constant entertainment. I miss that from my country home.
Although it is amazing what wildlife wanders through this town neighborhood --
deer, fox, a fisher, skunks, turkeys, and lots and lots of rabbits. I didn't see it, but a bear was reported recently.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I don't like snakes but I know they serve a purpose and I leave them along! Love your photos this week and videos!

Elephant's Child said...

Wonderful critters. I wonder whether Fred does have kits or is just practising.

Red said...

Fred is going to fool all of us!

Shiju Sugunan said...

Lovely shares again! The garter snake is beautiful. Keep enjoying these moments in the wild!

Divers and Sundry said...

Sweet! Garter snakes are fun visitors and one of the more exciting critters you can actually handle.