Saturday 12 September 2009

Canada geese confirm it - Fall

Camera CrittersCamera Critter # 75
You see, I swore I would only do one post, max, per blog per day. But then things happen. Skywatch Fridays begin Thursday night. Watery Wednesdays and My World Tuesdays begin the night before if you do not post early, you'll end up #300 / 342!

But I am sure you will forgive my news bulletin.

This morning I heard some playing the bagpipes. Then...
another sound that was music to my ears. I was merrily reading blogs on my deck when 30 geese flew in honking and announcing their arrival!

My videocam is slow to start and I missed the fly-in for the most part. But they came, hung about a bit.

They are not headed south yet. Just gathering and practicing their formation. They headed west in the video. All grouping and flying just above the water, around the point and out of my sight.

Unfortunately, the PWC zipped across the lake and scared them all away. Screaming teenagers would scare me, too! And the waterskiis and boats are out and about. A good time for them to become scarce.

The cicadas are singing an ode to the weather. The crickets are trumpeting the news. A glorious day in Muskoka. I cannot imagine why people are burning something. But there is an illegal fire across the way. Iddano. They have no road access and if there is a real fire - methinks they are hooped!

Our small pine tree looks very dry. I fear for it! We need rain and soon. I actually watered my forest. The poor little 4' tree looked so sad. It reminded me of Charlie Brown's Xmas tree!

My cherry tomatoes are coming along. I am so pleased. I have gathered 4 and hope to have a few more.

There is one small cucumber, but mostly the plants didn't set their fruit. Such a shame.
It is pear-shaped, just like me, and looks pretty sitting amongst the geranium and coleus. Better luck next year!





8 comments:

Cloudia said...

Such a joy to visit you, Jenn!

Aloha


Comfort Spiral

eileeninmd said...

I enjoyed reading your blog and looking at all your photos of the lake and critters. Thanks for sharing.

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Jenn: You are really enjoying every moment summer has left for you in your Muskoka. Isn't it wonderful how when we pay attention, there is so much happening on a peaceful lake!

Lorac said...

Yes Jenn the geese have been flying by here too. I think I am on a flight path as I see many go by in the fall. They are just starting but are getting serious!
Here I am soooo happy there is no rain down here after a summer of nothing but, and you need rain so for yours and the forests sake I hope it pours!

DeniseinVA said...

A wonderful series of photos, thanks very much for sharing them. Great post!

Shelley Munro said...

I live in New Zealand and we used to have a lot of Canadian geese near us. We'd hear them honking merrily as they flew in to land.

There's nothing nicer than home grown tomatoes that ripen on the vine. It's almost time to start planting down here.

Anonymous said...

Loved the video of the lake and the goings on. You live in such a fab spot.

Carolyn said...

My absolutely favouritest time of the year and your are in my most favourite part of the world at this time of the year. Thank you for sharing Jenn,
Blessings ans smiles