Wednesday, 5 August 2026

Crumbly Acres August

As I'd written, we had massive rains the first three days of August. The garden is saturated. My lilac hydrangea is in blossom. I planted it: Sept. 2024: New plants! I'd been looking for them, and Caitlin spotted some that year. 



Yes, 58 mm (over 2") of rain on the August long weekend.

We had an issue with the gutters, again.  The piece of metal, protecting the fascia, was letting water drip behind the gutter. I bent it out and that helped.

 


Auntie Fred has been here and there. Our nights are getting cooler, and her Momma would hibernate or go to her winter den in late August. Auntie Fred hibernated here in mid-September last year, 2025. 


MiniFred doesn't like spinach!

Yesterday I teased you with an image of MiniFred. I'd used most of a head of cabbage, and threw a couple of leaves out back. Surprisingly Fred liked it.


 
MiniFred has been working out front. 

She is creating a new burrow, #6A. She'll do no harm here, other than eating my wildflowers! 


She likes sunflowers, as well as the milkweed. I see nibbles everywhere. Gardens evolve. This used to hold some hibiscus, but they died. Not enough rain, toom much sun and heat.

The gardens are doing well. I am going to have to rethink the front one where the tree was taken out. As well as the one in back where the hops vine died. 




10 comments:

Jeanie said...

I hope the Freds don't like hydrangeas! Your garden is looking lovely!

Christine said...

The rain beats the wildfires

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Rain is welcome after dry spells - as long as it doesn't get too much! Adorable Freds.... YAM xx

Barbara Rogers said...

We'd love a bit of your rain here in SW Colorado! Loved seeing the Freds and beautiful garden flowers.

Shug said...

We need rain so bad....I think the Fred's must think they are living their best lives ever. Everything they could possibly want is on the property.

RedPat said...

It is a busy time for the Freds.

eileeninmd said...

Pretty flowers! Take care, enjoy your day!

Mary Kirkland said...

I like seeing the garden and MiniFred.

Tom said...

...like here, the rain is keeping every lush and green.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Lovely photos. Wow, that's a lot of rain. We got rain here in Montreal but unfortunately it didn't provide any relief from the heat and humidity.