Saturday 27 January 2024

Saturday's Critters

 As I have said, it is deer shed season. The bucks' testosterone lowers in the cold and without nourishing food. They don't need the antlers to fight much, since they have already established themselves as boss. 

I moved the trailcam out the kitchen window to see if I could capture the coyotes on the lawn. Silly me. Look what happened!

JB yelled at me from the kitchen, 'You're going to want to see this. Bring your camera!'
Here is King Frederick. He was down to one antler. He shook his head, and off it popped right before my very eyes! I wish I'd had my videocamera!



Good hubby went out to fetch it for us! At this point, the driveway was sheer ice.

I ran out to the garage to watch!



I thought this side was a 7-point, but on closer inspection, there are 8 points.



My friend, Justin Hoffman, a professional photographer and wildlife writer, has taught me a lot about finding deer sheds. He has a massive collection. He wanted a photo of my antler to show his buds, and sent me a photo of his collection! He makes epic videos, as well. He has given me much advice on setting up trailcams.


Lest you think I ignore the females, Jan. 23rd I noticed the doe out front under the feeders. She walked right by me on the sidewalk. 
 

Doe on the sidewalk! from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I even got her on the Crumbly Acres camera!

doe walkies from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.



After this I headed out to the back 40 to look for the other antler, but it was way too icy and a horrible walk. I gave up. The trees were covered in ice, branches droopy.

 Heading down the driveway to check for mail, wearing my boots with ice pics, I fell! It was funny and harmless as I fell in the snow bank.


Here they are with the last videos of them with antlers!

17 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
The antlers are a great find. I love all your deer photos and videos.
I am glad you were not hurt from your fall. Our snow/ice has melted after having a few warm 66° days. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Jeanie said...

Wow! That is just fantastic, Jenn. And what a sight to see -- had you ever seen it happen before live (not on camera)? I'm so glad you had your camera, even if it wasn't video. And that's a handsome piece, two! I never knew about shedding antlers till I came here! I love what I learn on blogs!

Patio Postcards said...

That was very cool to witness the antler shedding. Nature is marvelous.

Elephant's Child said...

How fortunate to be there at JUST the right time.
I am glad you didn't hurt yourself in your fall.

Barbara Rogers said...

Wonderful to not only get the antler, but he seemed to know that you would want it, and let you watch as he tossed it off. These deer have a symbiotic relationship going with you...thanks for feed, posing for photos, enjoying your cleared walkways! Antlers are so amazing. Congrats to King Frederick and you!

Kathy G said...

Thanks for the education on antlers and why they come off. Glad to hear that your fall didn't have any repercussions.

RedPat said...

How wonderful that you got the antler!

Anvilcloud said...

You scored!! 👏

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How amazing to see the deer shed it's antler! That's a once in a lifetime thing to witness! Happy weekend! Stay out of the snow! lol

Aritha V. said...

Your blog is new to me. I came here through Eileen. I've enjoyed it (and also learned new things). Thank you very much. Now I'm going to watch your videos. https://momentsfrozentime.blogspot.com/

DUTA said...

I enjoy looking at your pictures and vudeos, as we have here neither snow nor deer.

Red said...

I guess with all the snow the deer are smart enough to walk where Jenn has shoveled snow.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I bet that was fun watching the antler pop off!

Ontario Wanderer said...

What good fortune to be there as the deer shed it's antler!

Lorrie said...

How great to be able to watch the antler shedding.

Divers and Sundry said...

How exciting!

I'm glad your fall had a soft landing :)

DeniseinVA said...

Amazing animals and seeing them shed their antlers, a wonderful look into nature. Always enjoy your photos and videos. Thanks Jenn! Good to know your fall was into a nice fluffy snowbank.