Sunday 22 February 2009

MTM - Ottawa, Ontario



For My Town Monday, I thought I'd highlight Ottawa, Ontario. I lived there the 2nd 25 years of my life. My children live there. It is Canada's capital.

There is lots to do and see. One of my favourite sites is the representation of the Famous 5. These women, in 1927, ensured that Canadian women had equality. These statues exist to commemorate women who fought for all of us. You can read more about them in Archive Canada. The 5 bronze statues are larger than life size.

A great infrastructure supports a thriving city, with great theatres -large & small (NAC, GCTC), and much in the way of amateur sports. Our kids were soccer kids, but there is lots else going on. The canal attracts visitors spring, summer, winter and fall. One of the longest skating rinks in the world!

The canal is the hub of many festivals: Winterlude, Spring Tulip Festival, with boats in a merry parade along the canal. I can't find any photos, but I have memories of taking children for the Flotilla, having a picnic watching the boats sail away.

Canadian Tourism shot some videos of Canadian welcoming President Obama on the occasion of his first visit. We need all the friends and visitors we can find! I read poetry, like Geoffrey Philp's, Have No Fear, Brother Barack, and my faith is restored. He munched on a Beavertail (known as an elephant ear down south!), named in his honour. He took home some maple leaf-shaped cookies. There is something about breaking bread with one another that builds friendship!

This video: sights and sounds of Ottawa...


A welcome message:

9 comments:

debra said...

Thanks for an interesting post. I'll be back later to watch the videos.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I have always meant to get there but I never seen to get north of Toronto.

Travis Erwin said...

Heck, now I wanna go skating and dine on a beaver tail.

Jenn Jilks said...

Ottawa is a great place to visit. Travis, you would love those beavertails: donut-like, flat and dripping with cinnamon, sugar, whipped cream, or chocolate - whatever your heart (not your health) desires!

sharon young said...

What a great city! And how amazing to be able to skate on the canal.
Many thanks for your comment on my post, I can foresee a lot more visits to Southampton in the future :-)

Sepiru Chris said...

Second coldest national capital after Ulaanbaataar (Mongolia)... but the Rideau Canal is great fun.

The (pardon me, Enid Blyton) Famous Five comprise a great monument. And the Persons case certainly led to significant changes, over the course in time, in Canadian jurisprudence and in both Canadian political and economic life.

It should be noted that many think Nellie McClung, the acknowledged lead plaintiff, was far more personally minded than community minded as regards the Persons case... She certainly has been beatified since, though.

Interesting introduction to Ottawa for those who don't know it.

Lyzzydee said...

I was surprised by the number of people suggesting a skate on the canal!!

Jenn Jilks said...

But lyzzy - it's so much fun skating. You get really warm, then stop for hot chocolate and Beavertails. The shushing of the skates as you glide. The laughter, little kids bundled in sleds, big kids having fun.

The best time was our gr. 7/8 school field trip. 600 kids, no where to go but skate, eat, have fun, it's a blast!

Judy said...

That is a great post.Highlights a lot of winter in Ottawa, other than the whining. After seeing the photos I took from the Hill, my daughter is wanting to play tourist the next time she is in town.