Tuesday 13 October 2009

Feed the birds --

--show them you care. •*¨*•.¸¸¸¸.•*¨*•♪♪

 MWT White
Now that the Bear Watch is over, I have put on the TV for the cats.
This involves feeding the 'birds'. You can see the red-feathered squirrel-bird below.

The snow we had on Sunday did not stay around, but the wildlife seem frantic to feed.
The chickadees are grabbing seed and hiding it every where. The blue jays are so funny. They pick up one peanut, then drop it, then pick up another. They seem pretty picky, and beggars can't be choosers!

I know that the red squirrels are active, Nancy had
Close Encounters of the most Charming Kind, too!


Sady, with her allergies, can only have special hypoallergenic food. [Once Sady jumped up on the table when hubby was fetching milk to go with his sandwich, flipped to top piece of bread over, grabbed his ham, and dragged it off to her food dish. "I killed it. I fetched it. It's in my bowl. It's mine!"]

Hubby bought Mitz a can of Thanksgiving food.

Mitz, the anorexic, severely disturbed, picky eater feline, had her self her special Thanksgiving dinner (Really - see the can!). She still picks her food up with her paw.

She is so weird. It would be funny, if I didn't have to wash the floor and the side of the refrige so often. We have to double up her food, as Ollie eats twice as fast.

I threw out our sweet potato skins after our little turkey breast dinner, thinking that the 'coons ought to have a Thanksgiving dinnner, too.





Our little turkey breast was cooked in gravy, I put that out, too. They leaped at the chance.

Rocky 1 and Rocky 2 visited. Haven't seen Butch in awhile.

No signs of the potato skins.

The bird feeders were flipped over. All is well with the world.




We think the raccons ate them, rather than Oliver, but he is known for hauling a half dozen frozen muffins off of the counter onto the floor and gnawing away on them. (He often threatens to phone the SPCA as we never feed him enough!)

 You can see the potato skins cleverly camouflaged on the plant pot tray.

The gravy is too much for both of us with our cholesterol! It was licked up by Oliver, before I chased him away.

I thought it kind to donate it!



We have temperature moderation due to the lake that holds above freezing longer than the land, but soon I know they will experience the frost.


In the meantime, the last flowers of the season bloom, dripping melted snow on Sunday. There are a few flies around, but the bees are gone. The wasps are a pain on a sunny day.


The blue jays puntcutate the colour of the season with their azure feathers.


My delphinium finally are blooming.

I plucked the last rose from the garden. My dad always had great roses. I'm having issues with them, myself.


Praise be! Hubby brought home some flowers. He's a catch!

12 comments:

Kathy W said...

What great pictures. LOL at the story of the stolen ham. My dog used to lift the box to the pizza and swipe pieces while we were in the other room watching TV.

Sylvia K said...

What a lovely house/yard full of friends! I love it! Your photos are great -- felt like I was there! Beautiful flowers, too! And it does sound as though you have a great husband!! Fun post! Thanks!

Enjoy!

Sylvia

Joe Todd said...

Thanks for sharing your world. Love the photos and commentary

SandyCarlson said...

Great photos! Thanks.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

The things we do for critters. But they are worth it.

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

A great post! So many things I enjoyed - hope I can remember them to mention here!! Loved the squirrel peaking out of bird feeder can and the cat eating with her paw . . . You do look after all the little creatures, large, wild and small. The raccoons must love you! Love your Autumn header btw.

Arija said...

An absolute feast of a post. Love your changing colours and wildlife.

Judy said...

so glad you had a good thanksgiving! i spent the day cooking, then rushed it off to the in-laws, leaving poor starving puppis in their boxes, smelling the garlicky turkey smell for hours and hours!! when we got home, they licked out the roating pan, though, so all is well with the world!

Jenn Jilks said...

I think that is what I miss most, Judy, the smell in the house, and the hours of prep and anticipation.

Cloudia said...

You live surrounded by magic.
We are lucky you have the talent and kindness to share it all with us...

Aloha, Friend!

Comfort Spiral

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jenn: Neat captures from your Fall world, we may have some snow this week.

Mary said...

That little red squirrel is so cute! Much smaller looking than the Fox squirrels I have.