Thursday 22 October 2009

Skywatch Friday - somber skies 4: 15

I love watching the changes in the seasons, as many of you have agreed. As Vagabonde said, "Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose".

Change keeps us on our toes.

On Wednesday, I went outdoors in the early evening to watch the sky.

As always, grabbing the camera. You know that still, small voice? I didn't listen and neglected the tripod. What else can you do in the half-dark?
Well, interesting shots, to say the least. A bit wobbly, but you can appreciate the colours.


What really makes me P.O.'d,  in this day and age, are cottagers leaving on lights. As I was trying to capture my shots, I realized that the folks across the way has left their spotlights on all week.

What about Climate Change do they not understand?

I recall phoning the police last winter when the light was left on in their boat house. I'd seen snowmobiles there, and there hadn't been there for months and this is a boat-access only property. An officer arrived, and he said it could have been a robbery. That they would send a snowmobile  over when they could. Of course, I now realize that it was carelessness. It is the last time I will try to look after someone else's property! I felt so silly. The poor officcer. (Crazy retired lady, he must have thought!)

I was outdoors today and swept the deck, twice! Thursday afternoon it began raining, the wind blowing. The clouds were heavy all day and the rain began to fall with big splats. You know, the kind of big, fat drops the size of the Green Giant's tears!


Poor little tree skeletons! They have changed their wardrobe since last week. Not so hard to watch the skies. It cannot always be blue!

skywatchIt is snowing up north, Thunder Bay way. We are grateful for only rain right now! The raccoon on the deck looks a bit soppy. More next post!

Visit more Skywatch posts, Season 4: episode 15!

12 comments:

Cloudia said...

Another lovely post.

Aloha, Friend!

Comfort Spiral

Naturegirl said...

Thank you for giving me a glimpse of up north
country! I love to visit Muskoka in the summer..have not been there this time of year.
Perhaps next year when I complete my healing journey.down south..NG

Gaelyn said...

Beautiful sunset and lake reflection. I always forget the tripod.
It's really too bad people can't appreciate the dark, and save energy too.

Carolyn said...

Jenn such a lovely post and your pictures are lovely. I share you frustration with shaky twilight photos...I ordered a monopod yesterday so it will hopefully resolve that challenge. I love your header photo. Thanks for sharing.
Smiles

Sylvia K said...

Great post and beautiful photos! Guess there will always be those who just don't get it when it comes to the environment! All we can do is try!

Have a great week!

Sylvia

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great collection of blog posts. It looks like everybody is leaving you.

Judy said...

jenn, i know what you mean about lights in your photos!! this morning, i realized the only way i could take the shot included the reflection of the grren traffic light!

Jenn Jilks said...

I am glad I have kindred spirits in cyberspace! Thanks, all, for visiting and commenting.

Guy D said...

Fantastic as always, great shots.

All the best
Guy
Regina In Pictures

Powell River Books said...

Our trees finally turned to full colour last week and this week the leaves are dropping fast. Weird season here on the coast. You were right to call the RCMP. We just had a tragedy here on our lake. Every time Wayne and I go up and down to our cabin we watch the shore and take special care to look at friends' cabins. On Wednesday we went by Peter's place and all looked well. On Thursday morning we got a call to go down and check. The report was that it burned to the water. The fire was so hot it even destroyed the wet float logs. Peter closed up in mid-September and turned the electricity and propane off so there should have been no source of ignition. It might have been thieves or mushroom pickers who broke in to spend the night. You just never know. The cops came up but were only interested in checking for a body. No one cared about the cause, not even the insurance company. Where's CSI when you need them. - Margy

Sue said...

Last winter we closed up our cottage and we thought we had turned off the refrigerator and we left the door wide open. I guess we didn't turn it all the wall off because the little refrigerator light was still on! It drove the neighbours across the lake crazy until it finally burned out!! (and i wonder why our hydro bill is so high)

Sue

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jenn: Wonderful sky captures for SWF. I love that first moody one best.