Thursday 6 June 2019

More planting and birding

First, I begin with a bird fail. We have them. I know we do. The bird was perfectly focused while on the branch. I was ready, then it popped out of the pine needles. sigh. There is a fun Twitter person who calls themself 'The Inept Birder.' Just a hoot. It's all a lark, you see. Well, a house wren, I think.



🐣ROBIN have made their choice! Under the deck. I had to use a ladder, to snag the photo.


Back to my planting. We drove to Belleville to buy this jack-in-the-pulpit a few years ago (Native and rare plants: Jack-in-the-pulpit). They are surviving! That nursery has shut down this year.


From the plant sale Saturday (June in bloom), I faced the bugs to do my planting. I was putting it off until the rain stopped. Did I mention it's been raining?! These are shade plants, mostly.  Prairie Dropseed, Great Blue Lobelia, I forget where I put the grass. Thankfully, they have labels.



This one is a wetland plant, blue iris. It is down beside the dock.


These are the seeds, like clover and wildflowers. The clover is beginning to sprout. We'll see what happens.


Today, we expect actual June temperatures and sunshine. We shall see. It's got aways to go to get warm. It'll be good for the plants.


Speaking of planting: A young farmer in France got in trouble for a protest under the flight path of Trump's plane! The police visited him. I had a good giggle.


In the front yard, there was some traffic. The 🐦Northern FLICKERS are nesting, as well.
robin, flicker from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

A wee hummer. They are adorable!
hummingbird from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Last night we stayed up late to watch the Raptors win! Yippee. This retirement isn't for chumps...

9 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I love the plants and the birds. The hummer is my favorite. Enjoy your day!

Christine said...

We are having such a sloppy spring.

DUTA said...

I like the french farmer's "Climate change is real."
Well, even Trump knows that. The thing is it used to be phrased "climate warming" ( Al Gore's term)- and that's not accurate.

Nancy J said...

Go mow the paddock, well done. How could police prosecute that!!! Love your plants, garden and all birdie news.

William Kendall said...

Jack in the pulpits are strange plants.

Red said...

Now give that guy a prize for writing "climate change is real"

Anvilcloud said...

If I get to Purdon this season, I'm sure see some Jack-in-the-Pulpit.

The mosquitoes are awful. When I stopped to take the picture of the arm boots, I was just about consumed.

Kay said...

I love what the French farmer did too. Good for him. Our president needs help.

Kay said...

I love what the French farmer did too. Good for him. Our president needs help.