Friday 7 June 2019

Paint Party Friday!!!!

Even retired, the week seems to go by quickly. Here we are at Paint Party Friday
, again. This retirement ain't for chumps.
 My inspiration...  this from May, the ferns are even larger and a brighter green.


On the way back from my client's home – can you see it on the road?


I had to go past, turn around, and park. The traffic was fast, and I was careful. All were good about avoiding the poor little thing. A little snapper. All of our turtles in Ontario are, at least, species-at-risk for extirpation if not extinction. Snappers take 15 to 20 years to become mature. They are a beautiful part of our ecosystem.


It takes me back to the turtle I found canoeing in Bala, Muskoka, June 2009. This one was the size of a coffee table. I was awed.

Then there was the little snapper I named Patch. I think the raccoons got him. He only had one eye and lived in our frog pond.



Meanwhile, back at the ranch... Another 🐣PHOEBE (left arrow)  is setting up shop near the 🐣ROBIN  nest (right arrow). We may have another nest to follow!!! The robin still has only 3 eggs, but this is likely a 2nd brood.


Phoebe in the shed is still feeding and they are growing flight feathers. The parents are madly flying around picking up bugs.


After breakfast, I shall go down to the pond to see if our wood ducks, the last box, have hatched. Stay tuned!

22 comments:

SLScheibe said...

I love your cute drawing of your yard. Really pretty! We get a lot of turtles crossing the road here too (KW area of Ontario). People often stop and move them across quickly which is nice.

sirkkis said...

Your paintings are so fun and joyful.
Thanks for sharing the great photos.
Happy PPF xx

JFM said...

Wonderfully created piece of art from your photo.
How caring of you to save that snapping turtle.
I had turtles as pets when I was a kid...so long ago :)

Happy PPF!!!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
What a joyous post today; I needed to see the colour and the turtles... am fighting this infection still and admit to being a bit fed up with it! YAM xx

Christine said...

Fun summer piece for PPF Jenn! Oh my I would likely have missed that little turtle.

DVArtist said...

You art is so fun. These photos are great and I love all your little creatures.

Beth Niquette said...

I adore your whimsical alien peeking from the woodpile.

Lovely photos.

Sarah Leonard said...

Loving the scene you based your art on - you have a lovely space (and interesting wildlife!) Happy PPF from Number 20 :D

Anvilcloud said...

That's a big fella on the rock.

Nancy J said...

Wildlife families, why do some have one child, and others have so many? A lot of work to build a home, line it with softness, then sit and wait. Love the turtle, and the larger one. Down here, painting should finish by next Friday.Hooray!! Sparky has one more visit.Hooray!! Bathroom fan and heater are both working. A HUGE Hooray for that. Third load of firewood comes this morning, we miss our own trees, but not all the hard work to get from standing tall, to cut, split and dry, ready to use.

William Kendall said...

Hard to believe little snappers can grow that big. I've seen a little one like that before.

Lowcarb team member said...

The days and weeks fly by don't they.

Love your art, it's so colourful.
So nice too to see your turtle photographs.

My good wishes.

All the best Jan

Powell River Books said...

I drew two sketches in my cabin journal this week but haven't gotten to adding the ink and watercolour pencils yet. - Margy

peppylady (Dora) said...

Your drawing to me reminds me of fun.
Coffee is on

Kay said...

Your drawing is so wonderfully cheerful.

Gillena Cox said...

Luv your photos and that gorgrous fun painting

Much❤👩‍🎨❤love

eileeninmd said...

Hello, your painting is pretty. I love the butterfly yard art. You are brave picking up the Snapping Turtle. Yay for the Phoebe nest! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day, have a happy weekend. PS, thanks for leaving me a comment.

Adam Jones said...

How lovely to see the young in the nest.

GreenComotion said...

Good on you, Jenn!
Lovely snaps (pun intended).
Peace :)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love your fun drawing too! You really captured the beauty of it all. And how nice that you moved the turtle! Well done!!!

Amy said...

Oh how pretty! The garden into an art piece! Perfect! Wow love the turtle

Sue (this n that) said...

I saw this as your featured post Jenn - your sketch is gorgeous and colourful... those kind always make my day 💞
I love seeing the turtles too, we only get a rare sighting of any here.
Lovely bird pics as well. Cheers to you