Thursday 14 May 2020

Shopping, walking, playing

Poor JB. I wanted a bit more birdseed. It amuses me. I went online, and Crappy Tire had what I wanted. Or so I thought.
I did the order up, found out our local store (Perth) was out of what I wanted to get, so I searched and they had it at the Smiths Falls store. I changed my pick up location to SF. The email came in. Off he went.


It was a disorganized mess. I felt so badly for JB. Home Depot was well-organized, you yell the order number to the clerk, and she walkie-talkied it into the building, assigned a runner (#14) to bring it out.

JB pulled through the drive-in.


He phoned the number, then ended up having to go into the store. They had no record of it when he dialed the number. They couldn't find it. They fetch it and plunk it on the customer service desk. He had the paper, which listed the items I'd ordered. Less one, I was charged for the three items, then the two. Yes, doubled charged. I'm waiting for the original transaction to disappear.
What a difference from Home Depot: An adventure in the time of COVID–19.

You can track some store wait times here, but it depends upon the time of day, and if shoppers have provided feedback! Besides, who can be in a hurry these days?


DAROU FARM TRAIL NOW OPEN!
We've a new hiking trail. I documented the deconstruction of the Darou McPherson farm house. It's pretty typical of the time. The problem was the swallows  (an endangered, protected species) had moved into the summer kitchen, while council decided what to do about the building. It's a long process.
There is approximately 1.3 kilometres of trail configured in two loops in the fields to the north and south. A small parking lot has been created on the old farmhouse site and the path has been mowed so the loops are easy to follow. Solid running shoes or hiking boots are recommended, as the surface is uneven in places.
Residents are reminded that all dogs must be on a leash and that dog owners must follow the “stoop and scoop” By-law.




Teachers are getting creative. Izzy watched a video and sketched this from a video tutoring.



The online learning isn't as easy as it sounds. There are so many glitches, distractions, and complications. The iPads are great, but you cannot create twin windows, so you have to print the worksheets to view, while typing in the answers. The kids get going on something, then we have to print it out, which involves going from the iPad to Grampa's computer or using my laptop.

 Some of the work they can hand in by typing the answers in a form. Other times they take an image of work and add that, if the teacher does the right method for that item. (That doesn't always happen.)
Sometimes the teachers correct it, other times, like Josephine's dictee, they listen to it, they write it out, then the mark it themselves and take a photo of that.

Not to mention, but one math assignment project involved doing two math games and comparing them. This took Isabelle a week to tackle. There was much writing, for a math assignment, and it took us an hour, total. Iz was feeling frustrated, and I suggested she take a run around the house. She asked, "indoors?" Nope. Around she went. It was a good break. (When I taught in a portable I used to send my students out to run once around the track. It was a great opportunity!)




Traffic reports

Sadly, traffic incidents are going up as people are out and about some more. It was late March when we went into physical distancing. The 3rd week of March when they decided to close the schools for two more weeks after March Break.


9 comments:

Tom said...

...I haven't been in a store since this mess began, yesterday we went to Walmart for a grocery pickup. We stayed in the car and they loaded the order in the trunk, it sure was slick!

Anvilcloud said...

I see nothing but bad reports for our local Can Tire.

Ontario Wanderer said...

The newer iPads can have two windows going at once. Check on Google to find out if you have the right kind and how to do it.

Christine said...

Good to know about Home Depot, we need fertilizer. If your grandies are having difficulty with using online learning technology I can imagine others as your girls are so smart.

carol l mckenna said...

Big hugs to hubby for his store shopping adventure ~ Wow! Crazy times ~
Love the dragon sketch ~ and hope you are getting some good weather ~

Be Well, Be safe,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Nancy J said...

In our small town, ordering, collecting, deliveries, everything is so well organised and safe, some people are so impatient , and angry if things are not there, but the stores can only supply what is available. Online is great, postal and courier deliveries are slower with the massive volume right now.

Red said...

Ah, teaching in a portable. You could do almost anything you wanted...it wouldn't bother anybody.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Jenn, caught up on your posts now. We have only been to the Independent for grocery pickup. It worked well with just a five minute wait. Meanwhile, my daffodils are up but sad showing for the trilliums here. Been so cold and really looking forward to Saturday.
You are so good with those kiddies.

Olga said...

A light bulb blew and I discovered I didn't have extras. I had been thinking about getting potting soil so I thought I would combine the two for a pick-up at Home Depot. I got a return email that the store was out of the light bulbs but I could pick up the potting soil. They will deliver the light bulbs next week. It's really not a big deal. I am glad the store is so accommodating.