Sunday 17 February 2019

Indoor projects

Our girls came to visit Friday, a PD day. I had projects to do, and they helped. It takes a village...
Outside, the mourning doves, the cardinal and the red squirrels were busy.

1. Recovering the footstool

It's an old footstool, which we use in the basement. The older material, of which there were four layers, just fell apart. The stitching just broke away. The penultimate and previous layer were sewn directly to the first layer. I thought that was interesting. The last piece of material was stapled to the footstool. The early layers used really old, now rusty tacks.
The legs look really old, and well-worn, but still sturdy.

 

My dad had a full set of tools at the cottage, as well as home. I inherited 4 of these. I needed Robertson's though! (Caitlin brought hers!) 

It took me three days to finally get the legs off. I used liquid wrench in the holes, to soften the screws. They were deep into the holes, and the drill didn't reach them in the hole. I took off all but one layer of material. I liked the two pink ones. One was sewn to the patterned pink.


Voila. I took off the final leg just before the kids arrived. I did the sides, but had to think about the corners.


We had a visit, and Isabelle (age 8) made us lunch (sandwiches). Hooper supervised from atop the fish tank.

2. A side table, it didn't come assembled!

It was a team effort. I ordered it online. The poor delivery dude carried the box all the way up the driveway, even though I'd just used the snowblower on it. It wasn't light.

Josephine (11) was in charge of the plans.


Jos and Caitlin took an opportunity to do the corners, faithfully stapling them. Izzy and I took some time with the side table.


I pooched the sliders for the drawer. Caitlin worked on it while the rest of us took a break. Grampa fetched his head lamp to make it easier to work.


Ta da! (I photobombed her!)


Hooper liked the empty box.


Now, I just had to reattach the legs. Ta da! I found the material in the laundry room. I was going to wash it, when I remembered where it was. I figured we're putting our feet on it, why wash it??!!



The material was left from putting up new curtains in the cottage, back in 2002, when we were married. The bamboo curtains decades old, had had their day.


The table was well-packed with styrofoam. We were talking about smartphones, since we have one, now. Isabelle made herself a styro-phone and charger from the packing materials!

3. Next project: bringing in some wood

Just before they left to do errands in the way back to Ottawa, Izzy helped bring some wood in. These pieces are frozen into the gravel. It's awkward bringing them across the back step, as the snow melted right across it and its sheer ice. 
I sent Isabelle out and she happily handed me the wood through the window. 
"Gramma, I found an Isabella!"
She found a sleeping Isabella moth caterpillar. She slid it in between some wood and covered it with bark. We've found them in other seasons, too! (Sept., 2015)
Isabella Tiger Moth or Banded Woolybear
Jos came downstairs with the camera! You can see how deep the snow is behind the house, but the sun was shining.


The fire was going merrily, with wood for Grampa. He had curling to watch in the basement.


In the afternoon, I went snowshoeing, but first hauled some more wood from the shed.
 

4. The tall girl project

The last thing Caitlin did for me was to use to Fun-tak to put the 'secret mice friends door' back snugly. This was from our plumbing The toilet issue. Long story, but it's an access panel! A brilliant, inexpensive cover up, but not entirely snug.

I had some Fun-tak lying around. Teachers use this to hang things on walls. I thought it a good solution. I am a tad short to do it (only 5'4"), standing on the couch, and I didn't want to move the couch (again) and bring in the step-ladder. Caitlin is tall enough (5'8") to reach. 
Another glorious day, today. SUNSHINE!!! The sun is warm enough, now, to melt the ice on the driveway. WHEW!

13 comments:

DUTA said...

I love this kind of projects. I have a big box of tools myself , and they get used from time to time.
It's good for the girls to learn how to be able to fix things in life without depending on others.

Anvilcloud said...

I guess you're the DIYer in your house. Sue is handier than I am too, but it doesn't take mush to be handier than I.

Tom said...

...it's always good to have extra hands to help. Beautiful job.

Nancy J said...

Love the ottoman recovered, what a fun thing to do together, and the side table with a slide for the coffee mug, love it. Too skiddy by far outside, maybe next winter get a woodshed right next to the back door. You could have a portable one on skids,like a playhouse. Just make sure it will have a high doorway. Just a thought from a practical friend!!!

Christine said...

Fun with the grandies, good work on the house improvements. I am so not handy.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Well done to all DIYers!!! I like that slide out shelf for mugs on the side table. Neat idea. YAM xx

Red said...

Those are excellent projects to involve kids in.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Good for you and the girls! I’m hopeless,but Bill taught our daughter as well as our sons to do things by themselves. And she is as good at it as they are. I’m tall though with long arms, so I can reach things other people can’t!

Angie said...

Jenn - I am so delighted to see young girls working on projects like this - so many that I meet go all helpless when asked to work with tools or to put something together! Yikes! Love the finished footstool. We have had issues with our wood pile, too. We put tarps over the wood to keep it dry, but in the thaw and freeze cycle, large chunks of ice have developed and now the tarp is literally too heavy to lift off the wood … lesson learned for next winter! Enjoy your week ahead!

Linda said...

Keep thise girls busy, great projects.

Far Side of Fifty said...

You got lots of things done! Nice to share time with family while doing projects! :)

William Kendall said...

You wouldn't know that was the same footstool!

Karen said...

Great to teach children to be hands on and self sufficient.