Friday 9 April 2021

Chores, ditch diving, home repairs

Things are shut down here in Ontario. Our numbers are rising in the cities. There are some hot spots, as well. Next week is March Break, deferred to April. We'll have the girls. We're pretty safe, as the stores are really excellent with their protocols. We get our shots next week, being old farts.  The politics of this have been terrible. 

I went online. The guest room, AKA Isabelle's office, has been chilly in winter. We put up a piece of cardboard at night, and remove it in the day for light. I ordered a smokey blue blind for it, single panel.

Izzy promised to help me install it, as it arrived this week. This is both her office, her virtual school bedroom and our guest room. It's also where we installed the cats when we first adopted them. 


Home repairs are tricky in a red-level lockdown. I ordered the wrong stuff the first time. This I ordered from a company in southern Ontario. The trick is knowing what it is called. A lot of the hardware stores have really weird search results!

Then, the under door sweep needed repairs. You can see it below. I scoured the websites, and found the product we needed. After 35 years, everything needs repairs. 
We wrote out the SCU# and I sent JB off. Ta da! What I realized is that you can't just install it. You have to know how high or low to place it. Fortunately, it was subzero overnight, and in the morning I could hear the wind blowing under the door. I could feel the cold air, as well. I lowered it a tad. All is good. The hard part was getting back up off the floor!


Another operation, I put down some flashing for the bluebird nesting box. I did some research, and tried to figure out how to attach it. I gave up on pretty and just cut two strips.

Pitch In

April chores include ditch diving! I figured I best get out there. I should have been cleaning the kitchen and bathroom floors, but resisted the urge. Instead, I went outdoors!!! It was raining, but there you go. Only two discarded face masks, and no personal hygiene items. Several beer cans or bottles. It was a good day.



The hoses did not do well. This just drains into the garden, anyway. 



I took a fabulous photo of this tap spewing water in four directions. It seemed odd. We'd had it replaced in 2017. I went to YouTube, as one does, and found a video that explained how to disassemble them, check that the washers are good. Turns out it just needed tightening. Now, imagine me, this is just above my shoulder level, trying to tighten it. I was soaked as the water went right down my arm. 
OK, back to the drawing board. I went downstairs and turned the whole thing off. Back onto YouTube, and still couldn't find a tap like mine. Back out, and it turns out it was loose inside the thing. All is good!

11 comments:

Karen said...

Ugh, we have a door that needs some fixin' too. M. wants to take it right off and put a whole new frame and sill. I'm all for doing what you did.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Ah, the joys of home ownership! YAM xx

Tom said...

...knowing the proper name for things can be a challenge.

Lorrie said...

A house and yard always needs attention of one sort or another. You are very capable!

Christine said...

good to be handy

DUTA said...

Discarded face masks has become a common sight in parks, and near supermarkets. I wish the goverment would provide us with the more expensive, effective, reusable type of mask (N95 or similar in quality)!

RedPat said...

Busy times!

Nancy J said...

Being a DIY is the way to go right now, saves having tradesmen and more coming in. I have found you need to be very specific in ordering , I wanted another long sleeved top for Hugh, none online, phoned our next local store, none there, went in on Tuesday and there was one in the colour and size I wanted. Your grass is greening up each time I see the next photos. We have light rain this morning and it's cooler.

William Kendall said...

A lot of work to be done.

Red said...

You're giving me good push to get out in the community and clean up.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I think you could make an entertaining TV show of your maintenance activities!