Thursday 24 September 2020

The law of three...

The aquarium 

What a disaster. I have been watching the fish tank. I'd filled it Saturday, with the grandies help, and the water was warming up. The well water is quite cold. I managed to get the pump going Sunday, and the water hadn't cleared yet. It takes a few days for the pH balances and the tank to sort itself out.

I had it going. All was well, then I fiddled with the pump, made an adjustment, and things went awry. Monday night I saw water on the floor. I had a melt down. (I'd forgotten to take my antidepressant Sunday. No wonder.) The water leaked into the basement. Again. I still haven't fixed it from when this happened last time. Perhaps I shall wait, still.

I was sitting, feeling my aches and pains of old age, thinking I would get to it once I'd all warmed up and done a workout. I reached for my coffee... It spilled all over the arm of my chair. Sigh.

Workout done, I redid the pump. The tank was clearing up, as the bacteria and chemicals balance out.


I kept the timer going to remind me to check it every hour. Finally, the light dawned. THIS is where it was leaking. I caught it this time, using the wrench to tighten it. I used a plastic tie to reinforce it. It is still lekaing. There is a crack in the curved part, with a slow leak. I resurrected an old piece from another pump. I don't have time to fix it, as we've a cancer treatment today. sigh.

I ended up with 4 of my 5 fish in. One doesn't look very well. We may look for some new ones.
The frogs were laughing at me.
We have about 2 dozen shiners, or alewives who have mated with the goldfish. Some are orange. They aren't coming in.

I ended up draining it for fish # 2,3,4, but #5 is a bit reluctant. The same thing happened last year.



Daisy

Another little emotional blip. Daisy's new owner is off, and Daisy is at the spa for a few days. The cat motel posts photos of pets in care. It is heartwarming. It was lovely to see that she is thriving. I cried over her for weeks! 


Volunteering: Respite Care

I've been three years with one family. The end is near, and I haven't been involved with the family since COVID–19. It truly is disconcerting. I miss it, but cannot risk volunteering at this point. JB has a cancer treatment this week. 

Tidy up!

Thinking I'd make myself useful, I toddled on down to the recent crash site [Car incident] to clear out my ditch. Aside from the glass, which is what I was after, there were two disposable masks and a flare. I knew I'd be sorry if I didn't pick it up before long. I usually pick up three or four times a year.





I came across a bag that held a new neck brace. I can understand that they would miss this, getting these three men out of the tippy car at 3:30 a.m., one very seriously damaged.
I was quite curious and I looked it up.

Looking it up, this is what the crews used. 

7 comments:

Tom said...

...we had our last fish tank about 45 years ago!

Anvilcloud said...

You are an impressive DIY-er, and I am happy for you that Daisy is doing well.

RedPat said...

Sounds like you had one of those crazy days.
Love the pic of the frogs all sitting on the lily pads!

Nancy J said...

Any solid neck brace is very uncomfortable, Hugh had one for a brief time when he broke the small bone in his shoulder. That looks like a larger model. A wonder the roadside crew do not collect their own rubbish. Daisy, she is thriving, and hope the mended pipe stays intact.

carol l mckenna said...

You are one busy lady ~ don't know how you do it all ~ Hope the fish tank is better and that things will calm down soon ~ Neat photos and great post ~ ^_^

Live each moment with love,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

William Kendall said...

Hopefully your aquarium issues can be sorted in the next few days.

Red said...

What is ist? Bad things come in threes? You've had more than three.