Wednesday 23 September 2020

Storms, owl, Cinnamon

We are officially into fall. Poor Nova Scotia is feeling the remnants of hurricane Teddy. The waves are at 8 m (1m = ~1 yd), and people have been hunkering down, locking down boats, bringing in and tying down everything they can. 

They interviewed the family, and Nicole, who lives in this house. The rooftop is a patio. They are preparing for the storm. St. Margarets Bay, N.S.


I pulled into the driveway, and spotted our barred owl. I tried to crop it, but it was a lousy image. I offer an archive photo, as I have lots of them.


We've been limiting cat time outdoors. They are wicked hunters. Well, Nutmeg is. Cinnamon is less so. The birds are after the bugs on the flowers. 

We had a turkey amble by with chicks!

Turkeys and chicks from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I thought this video artistic, with momma deer and fawn. This is what happens in low light in the early morning.
I imagine their spots are disappearing soon. 

deer at dawn from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I heard this awful noise and ran to the front deck. It was a military helicopter! Checking Flight Radar, it registered online without a call sign!

"No call sign!" 



In the video, you can hear the bazillion crickets singing. It's been a banner year for crickets!



11 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I have been told that it is very hard on owls if you crop them.
Couldn't resist ;)

Tom said...

...your owl images are wonderful!

Karen said...

Our airway is full of military aircraft right now. They are doing some sort of flight training and rescue operations. I see them on the tracker, but no call signs.
My owl friend was not outside my window last night. I guess she found what she was looking for across the ridge. She would chatter away and another one way over there would answer. This went on for several nights. I know this is a nesting site right out here on the east side of the house so presume this to be a female.
A hunter shot the bear that was roaming around our area. He brought us sausage made from the meat, GULP.

Christine said...

Nice owl shots.

Nancy J said...

Love the owl, cropped and distant, and N/A, maybe only available to military personell!!! Flight Radar is such fun.

Kay said...

That rectangular house is interesting, BUT I'm wondering about winter. Wouldn't snow accumulate on top with no slope?

RedPat said...

It is probably a good idea to keep the cats in more for a while.

William Kendall said...

Turkeys seem like such characters.

Red said...

Hurricane Teddy sounds pretty scary.

Angie said...

Jenn - as always, love the videos. I saw 12 turkeys along the highway today - too close for comfort - I hope they didn't decide to cross!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jenn,

Love the Owl! I hope all goes well today.

Take care, have a good day.