Wednesday 24 October 2018

Bacon and crock pots

I like the change over to fall. The leaves shushing under your feet. I can trace the path of the wild turkeys, as they scrape away the leaves, searching for bugs. We're up to 30 ticks this month. The cats have had their treatments. I'm happy to see the turkeys doing their jobs.


People are preparing for Hallowe'en! JB paused his meal deliveries yesterday, to take a photo or two!


Hooper and Daisy. I think Hooper was looking for mice friends. Daisy was watching Hooper. I sent her off.


Bird feeders are filled. The water barrel is shut down for winter. Dahlias rescued from the cold and put to bed. Farewell!


Indoors, time to get some food and nutrition. I love the fall, when food simmers all day, filling your senses, and your soul, with a comforting meal at the end of a day. I had a recipe, a common one, something I converted to prepare in the crock pot. It was cabbage roll casserole. Basically, everything you put into a cabbage roll, but chopped up, and thrown into the pot, to get acquainted all day. The recipe began with sauteing the bacon, and then the onions. I decided to forego the bacon, and throw the rest into the pot, and hope for the best. It turned out well.
Crock pot meals... what is your favourite?


Bacon– here's the skinny!

So, the next day, I decided to cook up the bacon for lunches. There didn't seem to be much. I'd thought about it over the years. I often cook it all up. It lessens the clean-up! After my sandwich, there wasn't much left. I looked at the package: 375 gm = 0.8 lb.  There are 454 gm in a pound. Crikey. For the same price point...



Well, I figured it out. It began in 2014.

Bacon packages shrink as pork prices soar

2014–Packages of bacon at stores such as Cantor's Meats in Winnipeg have slimmed down from 500 grams to 375 grams in recent months, in an attempt to limit price sticker shock. 
It's not just bacon, either.

Of course, there are higher costs. That is life. The deceit is what shocks me. I want a full pound, as I want leftovers. 

8 comments:

Olga said...

Yes, packaging has definitely been shrinking. Haven't seen a full half gallon of ice cream for years,

Something in the crockpot is the best part of fall to me.

Karen said...

All of the packages are shrinking for sure. My better half gets hysterical about toilet paper. He writes letters to the companies letting them know he is on to them, how they are scamming people with their 8=16 b.s.
I love cabbage roll casserole. We've been eating lots of slow cooked soups and stews lately. We make some kind of roast on Sunday then convert the leftover meat to tasty dishes. Last night we had a long simmered beef and barley stew. Oh boy, I sure hope there is some left for lunch!
We had a lone coyote serenading the dog last night. Baya was at the window barking her head off and the wild dog sat at the front door singing back. I was wishing I had a basket of rocks to throw at the darn thing. It was LOUD!

Nancy J said...

Hugh is the only one eating bacon down here. And the crock pot, I do a huge casserole with blade steak, all the veges in, carrots,onions, kumara, silver beet if I do a soup , and leave it all day.So easy, and a treat to do corn silverside, no boiling over as it does in the biggest pot.

Anvilcloud said...

Yeah, they tricked us on that bacon thing quite a long time ago. Personally, I think it was before 2014, but maybe that's when the switch-over was complete.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Yes, have been on the thick and chunky soups for a couple of weeks now. No crockpot here, but a strong, castiron pan which I love for such as this. Snow on the way we're told tonight... YAM xx

William Kendall said...

Yes, ice cream containers, at least most brands, have slowly been packaging less for years.

Red said...

We call your cabbage roll recipe"Lazy Man's Cabbage Roll"

Linda said...

Love using the crock pot, I can say I cooked this meal all day 🤣. I hardly buy bacon anymore, too pricy and too fatty. I do buy a couple of slices of peameal at the butchers though, very tasty.