Thursday 18 June 2009

The movies

You know 'Q', a supposedly Canadian Broadcasting (CBC) arts show. It leaves me flat, as they seem to feature people I question as 'artists'. His Billy Bob Thornton interview was priceless, but appalling. With 2 million viewers on YouTube, it made the news. Much of Q incorporates American artists, and I think we need to celebrate more Canadian interviews. The Billy Bob-thing, was just an example of the kind of show I abhor. But this show revolves around movies...

Q Blog asks: Is Hollywood going to the kids? Well, the summer movie season is upon us. We've already seen Pixar's"Up" rise to the top. Many critics have hailed movies like "Up" and "WALL-E" as all round great movies, for both adults and kids. But others are lamenting the lack of movies for grown ups. What do you think?

But, the question remains, who goes to the movies? I do not, being an old f@rt. I cannot abide paying big bucks in public those to sit with those who talk in the theatre as if they on their couches at home. The film begins, music sets the scene, and idiots continue to talk, trying to get the last word in before the movie starts. The movie, though, starts with the lights dimming, and the talkers, who are dim themselves, need to get this. A film is not just the visuals and the dialogue...but I digress.

Perhaps this is we with life experiences are not the target audience. Car chases do not turn my crank - the plot has to have the strength, not the action. Nor do comedies, with actors young enough to be my children, using toilet humour to get across their point. And love scenes with nothing left uncovered. As with clothing, leaving something to the imagination means that, like a good novel, I can create it in my head and fill in the blanks much more richly than any director or photographer.


I do not like animated 'movies', either. We have reduced many a fine novel or memoir to crap in order to make it Hollywood-worthy. What does that mean? Well, I guess a chick-flick, for date nights, and car chases for the boys. The animations are cute, but with no little ones around our house that is not my cup of tea. I appreciate actors who, with wisdom, training, and intelligence can portray humanity on the stage or screen. There is something beautiful about an actor putting his/herself up there on the stage, though.

Comedians leave me flat, for the most part. There are few witty ones left, many use self-deprecating humour and that can be cute, but that clever stand-up seems to be gone. Ones who can examine the human condition and point out our foibles with sensitivity and love. The September TV Season sorely disappointed me and my generation, despite me and mine being a good portion of the potential market. We're the ones who might be home watch TV! My adult kids do not have time...

Elvira Kurt on Q, whose senior-bashing leaves me flat, was on Q, is supposedly appointed to weekly to rave about the 'cultural hall of fame'. Her style, likely her generation, is different than one I can appreciate. Several times her humour revolves around old people. Ageism is not a pretty thing now that I have jumped over that 50 hurdle. "
Send the e-mails (of complaint) to the 'old people'.", she says...

Don't criticize the coffee, you may be old and weak someday!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jesse Martyn - Toronto actor, and my son!
(photos © David Cooper Photography)

No comments: