Wednesday 14 December 2022

The latest from Crumbly Acres!

YAM, you are funny! In her comments yesterday, she suggested we call the place Crumbly Acres! (YAM has a way with words, and we have 16 acres!) Bumbly fawn, both of us with aches and pains, it fits. That tickled the cockles for several of us! That said, we are carrying on. Those aches and pains are difficult to deal with some days. We keep trying to laugh. I know many of you can empathise. 

Even Isabelle has been sick, and off school for about a week with a cold. We Facetimed, and it was hilarious. I couldn't hear her. Now, this is normal for phone calls. Both of us, JB and I, tend to put people on MUTE accidentally. Below was our conversation, for about ten minutes. I would talk, then she would answer by text.  I suggested sign language. 

During the call, Izzy was in her basement. It occurred to me that I could hear her mom talking upstairs in work mode. (Caitlin's desk is upstairs.) That was a great clue. She has cordless headphones, so she can hear her music while working, and the headphones were upstairs near her mom. We laughed so hard, until she began coughing again. 

Cold and flu bugs are certainly going around. We've a friend who has had all her shots, including the influenza shot, but is really ill, as she has asthma. It's so sad. It's been nearly two weeks, and antibiotics and puffers are involved. JB had that kind of thing awhile back. It is terrible. I had a coupon, from sending Jos her birthday flowers, so I sent our friend a cheery little mug. It made me happy. 

 We can see the birds coming and going from here. It's a two-fer: I am practicing for the Christmas Bird Feeder Count. The birds have been busy out the front window. The female cardinal was almost cooperative. The male, not so much!



That dratted cardinal... I cannot get decent photos of them on the snow, either. The one in back, in the photo below, is Mr. Cardinal. 

JB's back was well enough to go shopping. Bread and batteries! What is really helpful are fresh batteries in the beautiful globe Caitlin gave me. This is the before and after! Doesn't it make a difference?! 
 

There is a reason there are so many December festivals and celebrations involving light. It is dark early, and they brighten up the long nights. Happily we've had nice, sunny days. There is a big dump of snow expected tomorrow night. I'll have to go get more snowblower gas. They anticipate 10 - 15 cm. We shall see. There is a warm front coming towards us from the south east, and a cold, snowy one from the north west. Soon we'll be Snowy Acres! 

Still in the sunny window, I do enjoy it, the orchid plant is thriving. 

I'm rather behind on videos, and when I upload a new one, only to find a better one the next day, I'll delete the old ones. 

Here they are sparring, just as the snow started. Soon mating season will be done. Hormones will decline, and they will lose their antlers.

 

Buck butting heads from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I haven't seen this buck too often. He has a handsome rack! After mating season, the males hang together in what they call a winter yard. The females do the same. Normally, we primarily have the females. 

 

Big buck from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Dec. 10th, prior to the snowfall, I had a chat with a red squirrel!

red squirrel from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

17 comments:

Tom said...

...there's a lot of sickness here too.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
😄 Fun is important! YAM xx

Jeanie said...

It looks like the snow is coming your way. Ours too, though it's hard to tell on that map if we are in the intense zone or the just some zone. I'm opting for the latter but trying to do all my out-of-house activities left before it lands. Just got my flu shot this week and trying hard to stay healthy. We shall see!

Hang in there!

Barbara Rogers said...

Love your names for your homestead! That big new buck seemed just curious, never ate a bite. The pumpkins may be too ripe for their tastes, but I doubt you've had enough heat for them to rot.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

I hope everyone is feeling better today!
So nice to see the deer, and the squirrel with personality.
My, your orchid looks beautiful!

Elephant's Child said...

I am so glad that JB's back is getting better. And struggle with Facetime. I often accidentally turn people off.

RedPat said...

It is good that JB is feeling better before Christmas comes. I'm not looking for ward to snow.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Love the birds and deer. Your orchid is beautiful.
I have been hearing about more flu cases, I hope you are both improving and feeling better. Take care, enjoy your day!

William Kendall said...

That squirrel is a cutie pie.

DUTA said...

I'm faithful to the mask. So far it has protected me from getting the flu. That's what's important. Once I get the symptoms, things get complicated, so prevention is the best cure, as they say.

Lowcarb team member said...

Yes, it's that time of year when cold and flu bugs go around.

Just love the red squirrel :)

Take care.

All the best Jan

Red said...

It's a stressful time health wise with all the bugs floating around.

Anvilcloud said...

It is sick season for sure. Let’s hope that Christmas isn’t impacted too much.

Cloudia said...

The cold weather is it challenge. I send you my warm regards.

River said...

Your Christmas displays are pretty. I do hope people start getting better soon, it seems as if half your country is sick.

Divers and Sundry said...

Back pain can be debilitating. I'm glad he had a good day. Your scenes outside and the decorations inside are a treat to see :)

Lorrie said...

Sickness is rampant here, too, and the cold/flu virus seems to last a long, long time. Like a month! The snow globe is so beautiful with the light. I am noticing how quickly darkness falls these days and how long it lasts!