Tuesday 10 January 2023

Sunshine, at last!

Sunday was such a beautiful day, we saw the sun for hours, for the first time in a month!

 Sunday afternoon was football. I built them a fire. Nutmeg parked herself in front of it. She is committed to watching football, but it is better if there is a warm fire. 


The paperwhites are blooming!

My son, Jesse, took his girls to work. This is his work view in Vancouver! Isn't it amazing?! They've been busy with Cluny's ski competitions. They are happily embracing winter in British Columbia.


My week is done! My only real task is putting garbage out Monday mornings by 8 a.m. It was a tad chilly, but successful. I spent about 45 minutes doing tree limbs in the afternoon. I wish I had permission to use our chainsaw, but I promised I wouldn't use it as I really don't know the finer points. 

I love Labbit! She's been a frequent hopper.

I've been seeing her more frequently. She sure bounces!

Labbit Jan 8 early from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I am happy Labbit tucks in under the deck in safety.

That evening, Jan. 8th, dusk. I was looking out front, and knew there was a rock I hadn't seen under the lilac tree before! We usually name our critters. "Labbit" is what our young grandies called bunnies back in the day.

Labbit Jan 8 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

A coyote trips the trailcam. Look out Labbit!

  

coyote from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We had a skiff of snow as temperatures drop. It was - 10 C. this morning. The bucks have disappeared, now that rutting season is over. The male tend to gather elsewhere. Our forest is primarily a winter yard for the females, for the most part. Most of the bucks are off somewhere shedding their antlers. 

buck from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

14 comments:

Tom said...

...sun has been MIA here.

Jeanie said...

We had sunshine yesterday (Monday) and boy, was it welcome. It's been close to a month, I think. My poor solar lights would fade by 8:30 at night if they made it that far!

The Happy Whisk said...

Rabbits, squirrels, mice, cats and all kinds of critters live under ours. So great that you got to enjoy some sunshine. Cheers, Ivy.

RedPat said...

We were supposed to have sun on Sunday but didn't get it so it has been weeks since we had a sunny day. And we have no bunnies either.

Barbara Rogers said...

I hope labbit has some youngsters in the spring...if she's a she. I read a headline, but not the article, that someone has a bear sleeping under their deck and they don't plan to disturb it till it naturally wakes up in the spring. I guess they don't go in and out that way to their house.

Anvilcloud said...

The sun was nice again — while it lasted.

Elephant's Child said...

I am glad you got sunshine. And hooray for critters.

Nancy J said...

A rock that moves, that's a new one!!! Love those huge bunny hops, well they were big leaps.

Divers and Sundry said...

Bouncy rabbit! What fun! I love that you get videos :)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Sunshine!! Yay! Love the deer and the Labbit in your park - or er I mean your very own yard which is just as good as any nature park! Did you see the video of the people in Connecticut (I think it was) who have a black bear hibernating under their deck? They're going to leave it there. I will take Labbit instead than you very much!

DrumMajor said...

Labbit seems to have received pogo stick lessons! Linda in Kanss

William Kendall said...

The rabbit certainly is fluffy.

Red said...

It seems that your trail cams pick up more and more as time goes on.

Kay said...

Gosh I haven't seen paperwhites in such a long time. We used to get them occasionally when we lived in Illinois.