Wednesday 14 April 2021

☂Spring Break – caregiving week 27! ⛈

 Monday's Activities

We were up at 6:30 a.m., having tucked girls in at 9:15 last night, we toodled off to bed ourselves. By 8:00 a.m., they arose. They had Plan A. They've a video to finish, then Jos offered to help with chores. I explained that since it is raining, and all the chores are outside, they were off the hook! Plan B, they'd finish the video, after breakfast, and then do some painting. I'd bought some on sale items from Michaels. 

I watched my morning show. They spoke of burnout. I get it. The province has announced that there won't be physical school after our week-long break. I'm really glad the girls have had some consistency at home and with us for virtual school. The poor parents. Too many don't have sick leave, some don't have caregiving options, either. Many low-income workers are at their wit's end.

Isabelle hustled downstairs to fetch her waffles from the very full, small chest freezer. She couldn't find them, back upstairs she came. I went down, and we lifted out one basket, and searched, lifted out the second basket to search under it, and nothing. Glancing at the basket we'd lifted out, there was the tell-tale logo of EGGO! Voila. We laughed so hard.

Breakfast done, Jos entered the living room, while Grampa was finishing his curling game. 

        "You gotta keep your head on your shoulders, Grampa!"

        "I appreciate that, very much!"

She headed downstairs to do her teeth – so Momma won't rip his head off! It's been a great joke. No nagging involved. 

Art

I found the tablecloth in the basement, once I remembered what I was looking for, and set it up on the bench in the Muskoka Room. Cinnamon, wisely staying indoors, was in there sleeping in the chair in the fresh air. The weather didn't look very good. Painting ensued. It was chilly in the Muskoka Room. They ran downstairs for sweaters.


Isabelle and I tackled the blind. I'd forgotten we had an indoor chore. It took us two days.

The rain stopped and Josephine asked for an outdoor chore. I suggested they take the white tree down. The tree is screwed into the bottom of the barrel.


Jos was barefoot, so Isabelle was in charge of taking the arms of the tree back to the shed! Then, Jos used the drill to remove the screws, Izzy ran the base down to the shed.

I rolled the barrel away, and we discovered an old nest in the upside down barrel. 

After chores they rested wrestled! 

Bird watching has been fun. A pair of cowbirds!

 

It's an unusual direction for the storm, and likely to rain most of the day. Usually our weather comes from west to east. It's such a shame for our spring break. 


Lunch for the girls was leftover pot pie (below, left). It wasn't bad. Isabelle paid homage to me mére, "She makes the best crusts, but this is pretty good!" There weren't any veggie leftovers, however. They were a hit, as well.

Iz and Jos were downstairs on their computers.  There is a fire going on this damp day. Isabelle came running upstairs, having paused their video, "I think there is a wasp!"

        "OK, grab the bug collector." 

It was a big wasp, and she ushered it outdoors, while I held the door for her. You'll recall the bee incident last year, where she got stung. [The Wasp Saga Part 2] She was quite brave.


Jos made guacamole. We didn't have cumin, and she didn't need a recipe, she improvised. Curry powder, minced garlic and lemon juice. Momma said that it's funny that they didn't used to like it. Now they make it. 

We put an avocado pit in a glass. Another is for seeds. 


Both girls helped tear down the white Christmas tree. Jos had bare feet. It's 11 C. outdoors! It was shower night!  

Wood in, fire on, and movie and snack time. They had a bowl of the guacamole, with a bowl of salsa, and whole wheat scoops. The lasagna took a long time, I'm glad I had them snack! It was another FAMILY SIZE order mistake. Happily, they had leftovers the next day for lunch!

The crows  have been busy, and I'm sure they are thinking of building a nest in the pine tree.


This dude on the red motorcycle  is driving too fast. He does this all the time.  I wanted to capture him on video. 

9 comments:

DUTA said...

The girls are lucky they've got you to help and supervise their learning.
Here, where I live, there's great tension regarding schooling. It was decided to take the risk and open the schools on Sunday, in their standard format (no capsules).
Next month we'll see whether it works or whether disaster, God Forbid, has occured.

Tom said...

...it nice to see art class.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Leftovers are essential for comfort eating. That's my excuse and it stays in place! YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

At 27 weeks, you deserve to be sent for a two week resort of your choice anywhere in the world. Not that you don't love them, but this has been a major commitment.

Nancy J said...

Another day in your lives, I can be there, just by reading your words, a true story writer. Wonderful days with the grandies, soon they will be so grown up, like ours are, and I feel they are now needing to find a name other than " Nanny" , maybe Nan as I was called as a child, an abbreviation of my first name Anna. Barefeet, how do they NOT freeze. Take care up north.XXX

The Furry Gnome said...

You're certainly keeping them busy!

William Kendall said...

They are certainly keeping busy.

Linda said...

We are grateful for virtual school during all this upheaval of education. Granddaughter even participated in the virtual science fair last week.

Karen said...

Your girls are sure learning some great skills. I love to see young people comfortable with tools. My girls all got a fully stocked basic tool box for their 16th Christmas gifts.