Monday 26 April 2021

~(‾▿‾)~ Crows

The crows have begun a nest in the white pine tree. I was suspicious. They've been around a lot, flying into the girl's climbing tree and back out! Eventually, I saw them taking twigs into the tree. I've begun a page just for the Crows.


I didn't think I could grab a photo of the nest building activity, so I sat on the back deck, partially in the morning sun with a sheepskin lap blanket, holding the video camera. 

They went back and forth, one landing in a nearby tree to keep guard, the other taking the twigs to the nest.
See it?! 



You may choose not to watch these, but it was hard work following them. I figured out how to wear my reading glasses, perched on my nose, but still follow them from the distance. crow's nest  

 

From below, this is all I can see, however. It is rather excellent for the crows, although the predators know it is there. The one crow sits in a tree keeping watch, the other takes twigs to the nest.



The crows are active.  So is the kestrel. It was flying around the tree. I was out walking and it flew by three times. This is a screen capture.

I was walking about, looking for the nest, and I could hear it calling. The other birds know the nest is there. It's just taunting the crows.


The blue jays are horrid predators. This one was watching for action at the crow nest.

In this video, the crow and wood duck, the crow was scared off eating the cracked corn on the dock. The durn camera pooched out between clips, it always pauses. You cannot see the actual moment. 


I sat out April 24th. A lovely day. The one crow sat and watched for predators. The other flew to the tree. This behaviour repeated itself all day. It hides in the trees in plain sight. Soon the leaves will be out, and I won't be able to see them at all.

Eventually, I used the zoom lens on the tripod, and did a bit better capturing the nesting materials in their beak.

S/he flew to the other pine tree, on the lookout for predators. They seem to go to great pains to hide their approach to the impending nest. I was fascinated. See it peeking around, looking for predators.



Later on, I folded up the tarps that were drying on the laundry tree. The one crow circled around my head. I cawed at it, and talked to it. We'll see how agitated they get. They used to be around a lot more. There were always three. I did some more reading, and they hang out in family groups. They are known for raiding other nests for food sources, they aren't shy creatures.

9 comments:

Tom said...

...I haven't seen crows here, but we sure have a lot of grackles.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I am a bit of a corvid fan - very clever birds. You did well - I was trying to follow something flying that I thought might be hawk earlier today - and couldn't keep the binoculars anywhere near it!!! YAM xx

Karen said...

I love my crows. They live to be quite an age for a bird.

RedPat said...

I've seen and heard a lot of crows around this spring.

Nancy J said...

I once tried to video a tree being felled, and holding the camera high a long time and focusing is a fine art. You managed so well, they are wary, as they should be, bringing up a family there has a lot of unseen perils . Hope they all survive and you actually get to see the little ones fly out too. Sounds like it is still mighty cold.

Red said...

Did I ever tell you that I dislike crows...and house sparrows? Well, actually I hate them. we have too many here is the problem.

William Kendall said...

Wonderful shots.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Such busy birds! We have a few around here too...making noise in the woods:)

Anvilcloud said...

I was always taken with the crows at the cottage that would imitate some sort of construction sound that they had once heard.