Wednesday 10 February 2021

Gramma Camp – Week 23

The morning began, as usual. The school bus safely delivered them to their respective offices. Josee's coworker was wiped, busy morning, and so he rested.


The day went pretty well. Isabelle checked the weather station. Ah, it's 4! I didn't have the heart to tell her it was -4 C.! 
By the afternoon break, Isabelle and I went outdoors. Jos was still working. She loves math! Her coworker stayed put, too. You can see him peeking at us from the window!

Isabelle decided to check out the goldfish pond. As she told the story to Jos and Grampa, "I dug down a quarter of a metre, to check the ice. I walked across it. Then I remembered that you're safe on ice by spreading yourself out." 

She did a face plant, for some reason. She didn't know why!

Flashback to 2011

The girls and Momma helped me to finish off the goldfish pond. They brought home some rocks. [How to build a pond 5 – Sept. 2011] 

I told Isabelle the story about when when she was about three, and was visiting after the first big snow one winter. I asked her where the goldfish pond went. It was quite snow covered. She looked, and was quite disconcerted. "We have to dig it out!" Of course, the fish were indoors in the fish tank! 

Back to the present

Isabelle went to sit on her snow chair. 

From there, we went down to the island in the wetland. It was a pretty day, cold, and we dressed for it.


We crossed the island, and played.
Isabelle made me some lichen tea. We tried punning our way through this. "I'm likin' this!" Groaners!

While we were there, deer islandon the other side of the island, I heard a noise. The deer hadn't heard us. She went by, and took off, the other turned back. They are quite shy in the forest and wetland. 
 

Back indoors, Isabelle's asynchronous work involved a salt, sugar, and flour experiment. They are studying matière!


Thankfully we old farts have trouble seeing, and have a couple lying around. The magnifying glass wasn't great. 


She had to ask for more drawing time from Momma. They use ProCreate on their iPads.



The shapes weren't clear under the microscope, so I searched for 'microscope salt, sugar', and came up with some better images, and that helped the drawing process. They know how to draw in the program, copy the images into their Classroom Google, and then hand it in.

7 comments:

Tom said...

...the commute to school is a short one.

Olga said...

So much going on for you. The girls have such a rich learning environment. I loved the flashback picture in contrast to today.

William Kendall said...

Deer are quite skittish.

RedPat said...

It is amazing what they do on the computer. I would be lost.

Lowcarb team member said...

Fun in the snow, it looks quite deep.

All the best Jan

Angie said...

Jenn - your post reminded me of the show "Are you smarter than a fifth grader?" It's one thing to study the material, but you also have to use technology to even do your assignments. Yikes!

Red said...

It's really good to see kids play in the snow. I hope they continue to like snow.