Monday 12 September 2011

How to build a pond 5

It is good to get help in. The girls were quite happy to contribute. We picked up a couple of containers of river rocks from Dodds & Erwin. Caitlin, a hydrogeologist, is the expert! My granddaughters are budding scientists, too!




serious work to do!




then we can play!


I needed to bring in the heavy equipment. I dug mostly all of it myself. What a great challenge. The rocks in the backfill stumped me! Neighbour Bruce helped out with his tractor. Our natural ponds have dried up in the summer heat. I wanted to build a small one.


This is my saga! Part one was complicated by 75 lb. rocks in the bottom of my hole.
How to build a pond 1a | How to build a pond 1b | How to build a pond 1c | How to build a pond 2 | How to build a pond 3 | How to build a pond 4 |

5 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

The frogs definitely like your pond. As the natural ponds have dried up, they probably think you did it just for them.
Your granddaughters are sweet, and sure seem to take the job of helping seriously. Lotsa rocks and then play time!
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

W.C.Camp said...

WOW that was a lot bigger than I thought. Thanks to the neighbor with the tractor. LOVE the frog pond vid - seems perfect!! Great job. W.C.C.

Jenn Jilks said...

Thanks, both. The pond measures 100" long, 70" wide, and 27" in the deepest part. I kept digging, then ran out of steam, but not liner. THere is a shelf on one end, where the frogs sit. Won't be long before they sleep for winter, but I'm enjoying the fruits of my labour!

Olga said...

What an undertaking. And so well documented. I'm convinced never to try that! Enjoy it while you may.

RobDares said...

Great job on the pond Jill. I love it. What a great little focus point to your yard as well as a piece of nature.

Rob
http://www.thecottagechronicles.com