Saturday 6 February 2021

Cats 'n rats 'n elephants

OK, no rats or elephants, but lots of other critters...

Things are pretty busy around here, even for the bird feeders. JB went out and got us some bird seed. Happy birdies! The local seed and feed doesn't have the fancy bird seed. I don't want to place an online order with local hardware stores. It's all too complicated for us. So they plunk the big bags into the back of the car, and since my back is better, I can get it out of the car and put it on the workbench.

I have three different bags of bird seed. A richer mix for the globe feeder and the little birds. The glass feeder has a finch combo of nyjer and millet, etc. Finally, black oil sunflower seed. We've lots of redpolls, chickadees, nuthatches, woodpeckers, a few blue jays, but my fave are the pair of cardinals in the chestnut tree! You'll have to bigify it to see them!


Out I went to do the sidewalk. It was approaching zero, and at first the snow was melting, then it rained for a bit, and stopped. 
Down in the meadow, the branches were quite drippy!


The snow cover is deep enough, the flora and fauna are protected. Our lakes and river are quite full. Spring will be interesting.

Well, it was a vole that Nutmeg found. Somewhere. In a snowstorm! She growled at me as I tried to take it away. I let her be. It was only about 4 cm snow, not too bad.

You'll recall my video from yesterday, Nutmeg and Cinnamon playing on the front deck in the warm sun. This is a screen capture.


The trailcam works well here. Oregano Feb 5  is a big lad, and feral. He runs about 2 km to us for food, so we're giving him a handout. 

The forest critters are amazing. This is a short clip, I repeated the clip in slow motion. Cinn and I went  out in the slush, and could not find any tracks. The temperature went above zero today, and we left it too late.



On our walk, Cinn and I went down to the island, again, there were two deer  watching us!

 


The trek down to the camera, and back up the hill, was worth it. I love deer selfies!

 

  For more critters: visit 

Saturday's Critters # 373

17 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I always enjoy seeing your kitties and the deer. What was that critter running with the deer?
Cute shots of the chickadees. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Anvilcloud said...

You have quite a winter retreat, and your feeders serve their purpose very well, indeed.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
LOL... d'ya think that deer smelt your scent? Something made it stop and sniff. Always a delight to see your wild life!!! YAM xx

Olga said...

Bait and switch! I was really looking forward to the elephant.

Tom said...

...I only feed suet and black oil sunflower seed that I buy at a farm for $18US in a 50lb bag.

Jenn Jilks said...

I think a pair of fishers, Eileen!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The deer selfie is very cute and I love your banner! It's a hungry time of year even here. Our feeders are busy this morning! Happy weekend!

RedPat said...

There is so much action around your place!

Christine said...

Cute deer selfie!

William Kendall said...

It is such a delight seeing the deer.

Cloudia said...

You bless the birds and us!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Kudos to you for working so hard to feed the birds.

You have such a variety of critters. Deer, feral cats. Wow.

Who knows what a trail cam would find in our back yard? Our dogs, the squirrels who taunt them, rabbits, dove, and other birds. The weed guy spraying.

Rain said...

Oh I love the deer selfie!! I always love any video with a deer in it! :) Our birds are hungry too. I woke up to about a dozen Mourning Doves by the feeder, I've never seen so many! There's a storm supposed to come overnight, only about 10cm of snow. It's so mild here in South-Eastern NB! :)

Kay said...

I could feel the chill just looking at your photos. It was 57 degrees this morning on Oahu and we thought that was awfully cold.

NatureFootstep said...

todays giggle. :) That deer were very interested in your camera.
Loved to see it!

Shiju Sugunan said...

The images look wonderful!

Breathtaking said...

Hello;:=) Lovely snow shots, and deer captures. :=)