Monday 15 February 2021

Are you ready for spring cleaning?

 I am not into it. Not really. During COVID lockdowns, you'd think I could work harder at general cleaning. Having Gramma Camp every other week or so, I notice more dust, but it doesn't bother me. In the 'good old days' there was much pressure on women to keep a tidy home. It was a far cry from the days when people lived in log houses, then women swept dirty floors. My grandmother would put tea leaves on the floor of their boarding house, and sweep them up with the dust. They'd heat with wood, and have to wash down walls.

With the creation of appliances, it changed the nature of housework. We began doing more housework, more often. When women went out to work, during the war, I'm sure there was pressure to keep things up. Some men simply haven't stepped up to the plate, so-to-speak! The old division of labour is changing, in some families.  My generation changed the patterns, and our kids share duties more equitably than in the past.

Our family, when the three kids were small, would all do housework on Sunday afternoons. I'd make up a To Do list, and my then-husband and I, and the kids, would pick a chore and get it done. Eventually, we took turns doing, for example, bathrooms. When we lived in North Gower, we were in a rural 4-bedroom house. The kids shared a bathroom, while we had an ensuite. They were each responsible for their own bedrooms. 

I remember once I'd given a warning, and I ended up picking all the toys up from one kid's room and putting it in a garbage bag, and put it in the garage. He never missed it! 

Back to the present... these days, I cook, JB cleans up. It is fair!

Oregano was back.

 

 

In the backyard, there was something going on! The deer 1  are the canaries in the mine, anything moves and they are out of here!


Cinnamon  helped me set up the trailcam. Then, he smelled something. He is a vocal little lad! Feb. 13

 


I moved the trailcam. This is about where the owl snagged its rabbit. I thought I'd see what was up. This is on the edge of the wetland. The critters use this as their path. It's under the trees, less snow, and easier to travel. Coyote Feb 14
 

  

10 comments:

Tom said...

...my mother always said that the house was "clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to homey!"

Anvilcloud said...

We don't really do a spring cleaning. Hopefully, we are clean anyway.

RedPat said...

I sometimes look at the dust and think "I'll do it later". But when it is done it always looks so nice.

Nancy J said...

I love your analogy? Canaries indeed, something spooked the deer. Cinnamon, he needs snowshoes.

Handmade in Israel said...

The deer in your backyard are simply amazing! They are such beautiful animals.

DUTA said...

My spring cleaning starts mid-March before Passover which falls end of March. We will also have general elections on 23 of March. Busy times!

Red said...

Thing have changed in general. In my case I was a little farm boy and farm boys weren't supposed to do housework. Since I've retired I do almost any household task except washing clothes.

William Kendall said...

Cinnamon makes a very good travel companion.

Olga said...

I tend to clean things when I notice they need cleaning rather than do a big seasonal marathon of cleaning, which was my mother's method. There is something nice about having a totally fresh, clean place if only for a couple of days though.

Linda said...

I'm not calling it spring cleaning, but calling it covid cleaning. I've been slowly making my way through the rooms, cleaning, moving things around and purging. There is a huge give away pile and I've even found things to sell on Marketplace.