Tuesday 26 May 2020

Chipmunk tale


How did the chipmunk get into the house? 

This is Sadie (2005 - 2015). Our cats have a long history of catching them. They appear at the door like this.

Nutmeg brought this chipmunk in.


She appeared at the door, chipmunk in mouth. I thought it was still alive, so I let her in. She rushed downstairs, and dropped it on the floor. I distracted her, and it ran into the bathroom. Perfect.

How do you get a chipmunk out of your bathroom? 

A butterfly net and hand towels. The net should have been longer, but it's worked for bats for me, too.
[Bat in my bedroom part 2 - the rescue]

Here is the last bat I captured!

This is the basement bathroom, and small. Underneath the table, a chipmunk cowered.



OK, success! Short butterfly net, two hand towels, a lot of laughing, mild bite on my thumb. I ran in, turned on the light and closed the door. JB stood guard outside the door. He said, "I haven't heard you laughing like that since you were in the basement with Isabelle!"

It kept getting into the net, and out, and started climbing up my leg. It was a hoot. And fast. They can really jump. Once in, I tried to put the towel overtop and it just jumps out of the net. I need to towels jammed in the net.

FREEDOM!



It's no wonder. This is the front yard. You can see the two entrances, or are they two exits?



Can you see the chippie? This is the side yard. They must have a burrow under the back deck, too.



Look closer!



Another chippie lives to tell the tale. I bet she had a bit of a washup after, to get off those cat cooties!

17 comments:

Tom said...

...I have chipmunks, but thankfully they are outside!

Anvilcloud said...

We have a chippie in our suburban backyard and other backyards too, I suspect. We have yet to invite it in or ask Lacey to go out and compel it to come in.

Himawan Sant said...

Oh, that means your house is very close to the habitat of squirrels living, yeah ... it's nice to see their behavior.

Do you have a cat back after Sadie died?.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
They must have sturdy little hearts, not to die of fright! YAM xx

Karen said...

We have one coming into the house too. We haven't figured out where they have the hole chewed this time. The cats run around after them but they are too fat and slow for chippies.

Jenn Jilks said...

Yes, Himawan Sant, we have two cats now.

RedPat said...

Chipmunks are so cute. I'm glad it survived!
The apartment building is one of the old ones on Palmerston Blvd so they probably have really tall ceilings and all kinds of Victorian features in each unit.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

great header shot!! very cool, i appreciate duck sightings. cool chipmunk ... my parents are hoping theirs will be more calm with the neighborhood cat?? not sure that is working though, 'cause i saw one when leaving the other day. it was hilarious. why Dad thought he could step on it, no clue??! what does your hat say in your profile picture, i can not get close enough? curious. ( ;

Christine said...

lucky chipmunk! and good job Jenn.

Hootin Anni said...

What a hoot for us to read your chip-capades! You had me laughing just picturing this. I'd say two entrances...moe friendly sounding. And, am I mistaken, or is that a new profile photo of you?

Jenn Jilks said...

Tis a new photo, of me with COVID-19 visor hair!
The visor reads Rideau Ferry, a local store!

Nancy J said...

What fun for everyone. The wash up, lovely to capture that one, and the hair do, I summoned up my courage and actually went to my hairdresser. All safety precautions, and what a difference after more than 10 weeks or so!!!

Lowcarb team member said...

Well done you!

I think Chipmunks look so cute, I'm pleased it survived!

All the best Jan

carol l mckenna said...

Glad you saved it from that ferocious kitty ~ great photos and what an adventure ~

Be Safe, Be Well,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Ontario Wanderer said...

So far, our chipmunks have stayed outside. We do get a bat or two every year howeve.r flitting about the house. Often in our bedroom at night they show up. No idea how they get in.

Angie said...

Jenn - I am sitting here grinning, imagining the scene in that bathroom, especially with you giggling! Good thing it was a small bathroom. And kudos to you for the rescue. (I have to admit I was a little freaked out by the bat picture. I don't mind bats at a zoo, but I am not sure I want to come face to face with one.)

Powell River Books said...

I had a cat once that loved to hunt for mice. She would bring them indoors and release them in the tub to "play with." I would come home from work to see the carnage. Not fun for me or the mouse. - Margy