Friday 1 May 2020

Rain, finally!

Things are moving along here. Poor JB still has this cough from November. It comes and goes. It wore him out this a.m., and he went back to bed for a nap. I did up the dinner dishes, he was too tired yesterday. The deal is I cook, he cleans. But desperate times...

This past week he's thoroughly cleaned all kitchen counters, the island, and the dining room table. 
I am afraid I'm not getting cataract surgery anytime soon.
 What saves me is getting outdoors. Not that I can see well. It's better on a cloudy day.
I put the bluebird box up. We shall see what happens.

I saw a mourning cloak out and about. 
This is a file photo. Our leaves aren't even out, never mind blossoms!


Phoebe seems to be creating the nest above the basement door. It's a busy traffic spot, but fairly safe from predators. I'll keep watching! Also, I barred the basement door from traffic. I'll cross my fingers.


I avoided doing the bathroom floors by going out to weed the garden on Wednesday. I got bored with the twitch grass, and have to wait for some parts of the garden to get wetter.  Then, I got bored in the garden, and began raking.
It rained Thursday, finally. A grand 18 mm.


The kittens are growing... and playing.



He spends the day here, even in the rain!



Nutmeg had her deworming pill. She threw up 4 days in a row, and we thought this might be the simplest cause. She had the pill Wednesday, but still threw up early Thursday. We wait.

More daffies!



From last year, I tried replanting this spot. The veggies were a bit of a failure here. I'd had clover to fill it in, I cut it too short, and it burned up in the summer.

We (Isabelle and I) planted a whole bunch of bulbs here last fall. All deer-resistant daffodils. So far, so good!



The frog pond is warming up. All unfolds as it should. We shall have to be patient. It's easy from our position. We are safe, and all of our local stores, including the vet, numerous restaurants, all provide curbside pick-up. All the cashiers have been amazing. We've heard of some issues, such as angry customers. We just won't be those people.



There are lots of helpers out in the world. This situation is bringing out the best in good people. Many are stressed with rent or mortgage payments due, and no income and no jobs. We know people are donating money, food, or time.
Quebec is opening up schools this month. A tragic mistake, I think.

Canadian stats

Canada is in mourning, again. A helicopter is down. This after shootings out east, and floods out west. I hope you are rising above all this. JB and I are focusing on our circle of influence. Deep breath.

10 comments:

Tom said...

...last Monday I finally went to the hospital for a heart procedure, I was one of those putting it off. It had gotten to the point that there was no putting it off any longer!

Karen said...

We too are focusing on our circle of influence and independence. Life pretty much goes on as ever. We both need dental care but that has to wait apparently.

RedPat said...

I think we all need a few deep breaths. It is difficult to not be anxious.

Kay said...

My granddaughter’s school district in Illinois is closed until September, just like Hawaii. It does feel much too soon to open up.

I just saw that Canada is banning assault style weapons. Wow! That is so awesome!!! The NRA has too tight a grip on our Congress I’m afraid.

Christine said...

Hopefully the spring weather will help JB's cough. Ontario is starting to open up so maybe your cataracts can get done soon.

Anvilcloud said...

Sorry about the eyes. Nature is bouncing back, however.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Years ago I had a cottage in Muskoka and a pair of Eastern Phoebes built their nest above the porch light year after year. It started to look like a high rise! As far as my human eyes could tell, there seemed to be ample other suitable spots, with far less disturbance for them, but they obviously knew better. They raised two broods a year without fail.

italiafinlandia said...

Frogs are always funny to hear!

Lowcarb team member said...

So sorry you will not be getting your cataract surgery anytime soon, here in the UK many operations have been cancelled … lets hope things start getting back to a more normal soon.

All the best Jan

Linda said...

Hoping elective surgery starts again soon, guess it depends where you are on the list. It is a lovely sunny and warm Sunday, got the grass cut for the first time. Lots of things growing in the garden and lots of feathered visitors.