Saturday 21 December 2019

Wow, that was quite the event!

We're still taking it easy, although I'm getting much better, hubby is still coughing with this upper respiratory cold virus. We are happy for entertainment. I've managed to go down into the woods, but come back coughing. The cold air is lovely on my sore lungs.


This happened last year, a buck following the doe around. They hunkered down in the yard. We didn't witness that event, though. She is only in heat for 24 hours, and he follows her closely. This is taken through the dirty kitchen window, forgive the blurring. It's on my To Do list.

He's been following her for a day. They had a meal together, then he licks her butt to get her in the mood. That's about halfway through the video. (Don't watch if you are easily grossed out! It's quite enlightening, fascinating for some of us.)



From my professional photographer acquaintance, Justin Hoffman:
" I watched it on your blog post :) The behaviour you captured is called 'tending' - the interaction between a buck and doe just prior to mating. As for him 'smelling' - he is judging if she has entered estrus from the scent of her urine."
Hubby called me to the back window. I could tell it was time. The buck was totally focussed on her.
Now if you are squeamish, don't watch. It's nature in its most raw form. I was quite curious.



After the event, he wandered a little ways away to let her recover. She looked a bit stunned. I suppose that is the hormones.



They moved around to the side yard, and then back to the front.



This is the look of a happy lad! They moved around the house, she eating, he supervising.



After the deed was done, everyone relaxed a bit. I don't know if this is a yearling, but I suspect it is, sitting on the pine needles in the sunshine.



Once the rutting buck and doe went around to the front yard, three bucks turned up in the back yard, sniffing around.



Look at his interesting antler shape. This is the best photo I could get!



In the evening, this doe came to clean up under the feeder. She is a large, healthy one.

15 comments:

Out To Pasture said...

I thought the white-tails would have finished their rut a month ago. Now I realize why the bucks havn't dropped their antlers before now.

Karen said...

We have quite a colony of deer in our little valley. Most years we will have a late fawn or two. This year it was twins!
What great photos and videos you have of your gang. Catching the act was something rare!

Anvilcloud said...

I don't usually click on the videos as I pass by, but I appreciate the photos and stories.

Nancy J said...

And next spring there might be another addition to the herd.No privacy , this is nature's way .The snow has a palest blue tinge, so glad you are finally on the mend.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
It is always such a pleasure and privilege to witness nature in all its glory, is it not?! YAM xx

Gaelyn said...

Wow, what an incredible event to witness. You live in a magical place.

Marit said...

The deers are very beautiful!

Hootin Anni said...

A match made in heaven!

Tom said...

...and here I thought that it was cold for us! Put another log on the fire. We attract some beautiful deer. Merry Christmas Jenn.

Bill said...

The deers are absolutely beautiful to see and what a wonderful special event to witness.

NatureFootstep said...

quite an adventure and you got great shots. Love them.

Red said...

A farm boy like me has seen this over and over again. It's a little more complicated with deer. You have to be pretty lucky to catch what you caught on camera.

Powell River Books said...

You do get interesting critter videos. - Margy

Linda said...

Gone from frigid to mild in a couple of days.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jen,

What a sighting and capture. The deer are beautiful. Great videos and photos. I hope you are feeling better. Sorry I am late commenting, I was away. I hope you had a very Happy Christmas. Thanks so much for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend! PS, thanks also for the comment and visit.