Sunday 15 December 2019

First rain, then snow

That was a day of rain. About 18 mm (0.7"), and then it has snowed on top of the warm ground.



The frog pond had an interesting piece of ice. I had to zoom in to figure it out. It's quite full, which is good for spring.



I've moved the trailcams back down to the forest. As long as I don't talk too much, I don't cough too much. As I was walking down the hill to cross the meadow, a grouse flew from under these dead branches. Then another, and another. You have to picture them in your mind: wings flapping, that lovely sound of the thumping of their wings, and their tail feathers.



It was bird count day in our area. In the pouring rain!
sparrow from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Then, there are the trailcam photos. My 2nd camera has a bit of rust on the mechanism that ejects the battery holder. (It's up for replacement with Boxing Day sales!) I cleverly decided to spray the rusted mechanism with some grease to loosen it. I smelled of this stuff ALL DAY, despite rigorous hand washing!

I've been using up a lot of battery power, so I switched the good trailcam to images, rather than videos.

Our 4 released raccoons are still sticking together! You can see their shining eyes in the dark!



This young buck, with pickle-stabber antlers, decided to do a selfie.



This is what we woke up to. Poor polar bear is dancing in the wind.



I put the large balls out on the tree. It had snow on it, and I was getting it up my sleeves. I neglected to reposition them when the snow melted. Too late!



We're good, with temperatures headed below zero. There are lots without power in the wet snow, though.


5 comments:

DUTA said...

Rain and snow - not my cup of tea. But you people are used to it, so no big deal. As long as you don't catch a cold, everything is fine.

Anvilcloud said...

It looks like decent weather until Wednesday night when we will get a cold blast.

Kay said...

I just hope you’re not getting a lot of black ice in your area. That’s always my worry.

Rain said...

Same weather here Jenn, it's now an ice rink out there.

Red said...

Rain and snow together make for a big mess. Not fun at all.