Thursday 14 February 2019

Snowmageddon clean-up

This is my new terrarium. Look closely. A few sprinkles of dirt on the table. "Hooper, Down!" has been at it, again. He's not happy with the snow.
I'll have to think about where to put it. I need a wall!


That was a task and a half! We had ~30 cm. The driveway is bare in the middle, but the sides still have ice on it.
Someone went out to feed the deer and turkeys. Said 'someone' slipped on the ice and fell. He was forbidden from doing the driveway. This is some of the ice, prior to the storm.

The deer were in pretty deep.


That was hard work. The end of the driveway was really bad, but the worst are the shoulders that are icy. I couldn't use the brakes to make it turn, as there wasn't traction. Coming back up the berm was sheer ice. I slid on the way down to the highway.


We are fortunate to be in the country, since we have somewhere to put the snow.


In Ottawa, the kids had another snow day. They have a metal roof and the snow falls on the patio. They shoveled a path.

 Ottawa has an app called Touch Plow. They can order in a last minute plowing of their driveway. Many people have regular contractors. Part-time contractors can sign up for odd jobs. 

Contractors sign onto this, and you are charged according to the size of you driveway, and how soon you want it done. From 0 - 4 hours, or a longer time frame. If you are away on vacation, you can order it up. The contractors take a photo of it when they are done!
They cheered when they saw their snowplow!

JB did part of the back deck.

You can hear the birds even as the snow flies! 
snowmageddon from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

After we shoveled, the snow began to fall, again!
Bird feeders from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

There are so many ways to check out driving conditions. Thank goodness for Ontario 511. It was quite a mess, and a lot of places were simply closed.

Buster loved the snow! This is my favourite photo of him. Daisy May loved following me using my snowshoe tracks.


11 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Our contractor uses GPS so we can track where he is. He did pretty well yesterday.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
...yikes... It's lovely if you only have to look at it. Going out and about though? Whole other matter! YAM xx

Karen said...

My birds are feeding like crazy. I swear they post a sentry, and when I come with seed it sends up the message and they come flocking in like mad. I am seeing a lot of pinecones on the ground from the wind so thank goodness there is still SOME food left in the wild. It must be so hard for the poor deer, moose etc to find enough to eat in all this snow.

Karen said...

It is getting pretty dire for our friends in the towns and cities!

Nancy J said...

Yesterday as we drove home from a regular doctor's visit I said to Hugh." I always thought I would like to live where there is snow at our back door, but recently I have changed my mind" And when I look at your photos, the shovelling, the snow ploughs, I am sure!!! is this normal or a late flurry before the Winter Fairy packs up her wings and flies south?

Penelope Notes said...

If only we all were as sheltered as the plant in your terrarium, although life wouldn’t be nearly as much “fun”. :)

Cloudia said...

Ah! But Spring!

William Kendall said...

The birds sound like some I passed by earlier today, hidden away in a bush. For whatever reason they fall silent when you stop to look where they might be hiding.

Christine said...

2 more weeks till March! I am feeling fit from all the shovelling.

Red said...

I wouldn't want this much snow. Yes, hire somebody to clean up. We are getting 5 - 10 cm tonight.

JKW said...

So cute those covers for the birds. Blessings, Janet