Wednesday 20 February 2019

Saw-whet owl nesting box

This is supposed to be a saw-whet owl nesting box. Here is where it sat, in the dead elm in the centre of the photo. It should be down in the forest.

I moved a red squirrel family into it one year, as they had taken over the wood duck nesting box. This box wasn't being used. I think it was in the wrong place for the owls. July 20, 2017 Red squirrel usurps wood duck nesting box

Feb. 7, 2015

Long story, I had a saw-whet on the front porch, but it was killed by the hawk after I bought the nesting box. I was so sad.


I installed it that month, February, 2015.  Saw-whet owl nesting box,

I've been itching to move it for ages. The best time is winter. If I fall, it's a soft landing in snow!

First a ladder, and then to undo the nails. Yes, nails. The dead elm tree wouldn't take a screw. They are really hard trees. THAT was tricky.


It's really difficult walking, even with snowshoes.
  
I don't know if you can see how deep the snowshoe tracks are, but the deer have used my track.


The snow is lovely. We're on the home stretch. The sun warms the woods, and it's melted around the bench, too. Spring is coming...


TA DA! Step one is done. The box is down.


I chose another tree. My research said 4 - 5 m high, in a deciduous forest, near water, facing south (for warmth). They nest from March to July, so time is of the essence.

I trotted around on my snowshoes looking for a good tree. This one might not be the best, and we might not even get an owl in it. Saw-whets are nocturnal. They eat mostly voles and such. They are teeny things.

I expect to have the squirrels use it. I haven't seen a saw-whet since.
First, I preinstalled screws into the box, grabbed the drill, and put both on the ladder. Putting on my snowshoes, I hauled it all down the hill to the tree.


First job, to take the drill up. I set the drill in the nook at the top of the ladder, and it started buzzing. Whoops. The boxes are way too heavy. They are made of vintage barn board and weigh a ton.


Back down, to take the box up. You know, ladders aren't made for women of average height. Once up there, I realized the lower two screws were too short. The top one was a 3", and it was OK, but it didn't hold well. Nor could I get the screw tight.


Back down, put on the snowshoes, back to the garage to exchange the drill, fetch two more long screws, back down the hill, snowshoes off, again. And up I go.


 I changed it to a black and white photo.

OK, grab the drill, drag the ladder back to the house.
I went indoors, and fell into a chair, after a long drink of water. Hubby, downstairs watch curling by the fire, I tried to add a log and after climbing and fiddling around, I dropped the log on my finger. Insult to injury!

12 comments:

Nancy J said...

This story is so like " How to make a Christmas cake when adding whiskey"!!! I had to laugh, sorry about putting on and off the snowshoes, so glad it finally made it onto the tree. Forget the water, have a long whiskey and curl up by the fire too. XXXX p.s. Save this post for your book, it is such a keeper.

Anvilcloud said...

You are certainly very determined, especially in such cold weather.

Olga said...

It's a hard life birds -- even predatory ones.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Inside projects, outside projects - you are a worker that's for sure!!! YAM xx

Tom said...

...I've never seen an owl like this, thanks!

Kenneth Cole Schneider said...

Great project! I'd love to attract a screech-owl but my trees are all too small and scrawny.

Red said...

That's a lot of hard work for a young gal! I hope you get owls.

Out To Pasture said...

Good for you, Jennifer. I've made and put up three owl boxes here. Looking back at my records since 2005, eastern screech owls have used them for roosting, especially in February, but have not yet nested in them. Perhaps it's all about location, location, location.

Christine said...

difficult even for snowshoes, cannot imagine. Yes, I feel spring in the air despite freezing rain this evening.

Tanza Erlambang said...

look frozen cold...take care.
have a great day

William Kendall said...

If anything makes use of it, it'll be good.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

My gosh, but you are handy. All I focused on was saws, drills, ladders...Even to go high on a ladder is out for me these days but your idea of snow being a soft landing is a great one. I would love to have owls nesting like that. We had a similar box at the old farm and all we ever found in it were mice families. Good luck!
We are having pouring rain turning to freezing later today. Hope to goodness it is missing you.