Sunday 23 December 2018

Hallmark Movies: Christmas Around the Corner

🎥TV MOVIES We've had rain and snow. The frogpond is full, again. The snow shoveled. What to do? Hubby was watching curling, so I hunker down with a taped show. This one, Christmas Around the Corner, was filmed in local spots.

It was filmed in Almonte, and we drove by doing errands. They feature local sights, as well as some local actor walk-ins. They wrote about it in our local paper:
Christmas Around the Corner, directed by Megan Follows of Anne of Green Gables fame, was shot in August and September in spots in Carleton Place and Almonte. Viewers should keep their eyes peeled for the Carleton Place Town Hall and old train station, as well as Almonte Old Town Hall and North Market Café + Catering on Mill Street, which served as the location for the fictional Fortenbury Books in the town of Glastenbury, in the film. The North Market Café + Catering was rented out from Aug. 28 to Sept. 18.
Bob's Bakery, for example.


A gay, mixed race couple with an adoptive baby. The cynic in me would suggest they wanted to tick boxes here!


They used city hall, adding a US flag. Seriously, they contributed to the economy. The crews all had to eat here, as well as be put in accommodations.


I've seen 35+ Christmas movies on TV. It takes me away. I like looking for familiar sights. I don't have to worry about things going on here at home.
Movie Review: Rooftop Christmas Tree
Movie: Christmas Festival of Ice

There were 17 movies filmed in the Ottawa Valley, although the majority of the Hallmark movies are done our west, and a good number of W Network movies are filmed in B.C. Nine movies and TV shows filmed in Kingston.

12 comments:

Phil Slade said...

Here's wishing you a Happy Holiday Jenn. Hope the snow stays away (and for us).

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
hehe, as I am doing a 'roll call' of sappy movies I shall have to see if I can locate this one! One of my fave Hallmark ones is A Dog Named Christmas. Have it on DVD. If you haven't seen it, do look it up! (mind you, if only we had the curling on this side....) YAM xx

Linda said...

I've been watching lots too, but don't recall seeing this one.
Happy holidays to you and your family.

Anvilcloud said...

I once was able to watch one of these types of local films. It was okay, and it was fun to look for local sights.

Nancy J said...

Rain here too, and a good movie sounds like the best way to fill in part of a cold day. Good news for the frog pond.

William Kendall said...

One of the most recent batch of them would have done some filming in the city. I remember this past summer walking through the Glebe and coming through a film set in pre-shoot, with Christmas decorations being wound up around the utility poles, and Mrs. Tiggywinkles the toy store serving as a set.

Red said...

Okay, movies would be better than curling.

Powell River Books said...

The film industry is big in Vancouver and sometimes spills over to the lower Sunshine Coast. Up our way it mostly local documentaries, but they have been good. The weather has been really unusual nationwide. Wetter, windier, colder, warmer, snowier, we seem to be getting it all. - Margy

Angie said...

Jenn - I have really enjoyed getting to know you better this year through your posts, and I look forward to more in 2019. Merry Christmas!!!

betty-NZ said...

I get a Hallmark Movie now and then here in New Zealand, but not as often as I'd like!

Greg said...

The gay relationship seems to indicate a gay priest and black individual connected to a St.Paul.. Seems a slap at the Catholic Church it's very offensive. Not into inclusionary the Cubs expense of my religion.

Jenn Jilks said...

Well, Greg, the way the Catholic Church has treated First Nations, homosexuals and women. The horrid residential schools, the abuse (sexual, emotional and physical) and I'd be ashamed to admit I was Catholic, but I am not.