Tuesday 11 December 2018

Catching up: balls and birdbath

I figured I ought to get outdoors, while the sun shone, and so I did some silly decorating. I'd chopped down the tree on which I normally place these balls. I was feeling closed in, and I much prefer see who is coming up our driveway. It was sheltering the garden, as well. I recycled the branches for decor.


What I missed was the reflection of the house. I found it again!


What bugs me is I deliberately alternated between gold and red, and still ended up with them bunched together by colour. Well, no one else but you, dear reader, will see them!



Then, there is the bird bath heater saga.  It cracked in a previous failure, I've cemented it, and while it leaks when very full, it works. broke my birdbath last winter, January, 2018. (It was the way I'd put the heater in, the top 4" froze.)  I had some advice about getting some premixed cement. I never even thought of that!
Out To Pasture said...
Sorry about your bird bath. I have two. One cement and one metal. The cement one cracks and I just mend it with cement repair compound. 
We drove all the way to Almonte to buy a new one. I had drained it for the night. Somehow, the new one became unplugged on the nest night. The teeny bubbler kept it from freezing, and cracking, again. I duct taped it to the extension cord this time. It's more complicated to undo it to clean the heater, but it's better than destroying it. 

Do you think I need new gloves? It'd probably help if I didn't use my driving gloves to haul wood!

In the meantime, hubby did some shopping. He brought these home. He said it worked like a charm for my mother! Sadly, the chocolates, sitting on the counter as they do, seem to be disappearing. Do you think Hooper has been at them??!!

Speaking of Hooper, we're still crating Daisy at night. It seems to be the best solution. She hunts him down. There might come a time when he stands up for himself. He is growing, and I think he'll outgrow Daisy. Deep breath. 


After our discouraging, unsuccessful trip to spot a snowy owl, I had a private email from Kenny Ruelland, on Facebook. He was headed to Wolfe Island was wondering if I could share where we spotted the long-eared owls. He is a conservationist, I trusted him. I told him, and he found two. He said I could post these two photos. I was unable to take a proper photo, you see. Aren't they amazing? 


Today, it snows, but it is a bit warmer! I was happy to go for a walk, news on that tomorrow. 
I participated in a teleconference meeting last evening. That went well. It's about the only group in which I feel comfortable. Mind you, I can cybersurf while we rehash things, and I can multitask. We need new members, some in the north. There are a lot of me in the demographics, middle-aged, retired white woman!
odprn logo
ODPRN

6 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari om
Forgive my saying so, but I love our balls...:-) Harveys Bristol cream. That brings up memories of the 1970s!!! YAMxx

William Kendall said...

Is it weird that the owls look surprised?

Powell River Books said...

I love your owl adventures. My wood working glove look just the same. The pointer finger on my right hand always gets a hole before the rest wears out. I'm too cheap to give up on them and get new ones until there is more wear and tear. - Margy

Red said...

I like the long eared owls.

Christine said...

Beautiful owl shots! Your decoration looks nice grouped by colour!

Anvilcloud said...

It was nice of you to share your owl intel and to be rewarded with two photos.