Monday 22 October 2018

Ontario Municipal Election 2018: Vote Early! Vote Often!

Just kidding! Just vote once... We voted last week in the advance polls.


A municipal election hits very close to home: parks, transit, taxes, roads, garbage pickup, recycling, etc. It's not that long ago that women could not vote, weren't even considered PERSONS.
We have had a nice article in our local newspaper, briefly covering their platforms. Despite this, when we went to the office to vote, a man spoke loudly to the elections clerk and declared, "I don't know who to vote for, there's been nothing in the paper!" I beg to differ!!!!!

Then, on my Facebook page, an ad. "Suggested page," me arse! Thing is, I'm not in Tay Valley!



Yes, another election. The signage is everywhere. There has to be a better way. I'm not voting for someone whose platform is unarticulated, like our Premier, Doug Ford. Neither am I voting for someone by signage!
Here is what we've seen across the region.

11 comments:

Tom said...

...when we were in Ottawa this spring we saw the statues for the 'Famous Five.' Impressive.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

At the time of municipal elections I am always a little ashamed of how little I know of the various candidates running for office in the area that most directly affects us, our own town or city. I do not wish to seem too jaded but I think that politicians lose their ideals the longer they are in office and staying in office becomes the goal itself. A friend of mine put it a little more succinctly - the degree of their sliminess increases in direct proportion to their years in office! And she is not generally prone to saying bad things about people!

DUTA said...

We have our municipal elections at the end of month. Corruption everywhere. I've lost faith in all candidates. Elections - whether general or municipal are but a big circus. Sad.

Karen said...

I voted online last week. I feel municipal elections are extremely important. A lot of people I know seem to think they are a waste of time! What goes on in our community is one of the things where an individual CAN have an impact!
I live in the township which surrounds the town. So much of what goes on in the town, and the services and other stuff, lets face it, are important to us out here in the boonies. So I'm following those results with interest.

Nancy J said...

I so agree with Dave and his friend, it must be a world wide trend. Much the same down here. Do they think the larger the sign the more votes?

Red said...

I don't like all the signs but apparently the signs work.

RedPat said...

I just voted an hour ago and there was stating to be a bit of a lineup which is good to see.

Peace Thyme said...

Happy to read about those fearless five! The politics in this country are just laughable. The only Republicans who will say anything against their party leader who sits in the people's White House less than he is at his golf courses are the two who are not running for re-election. And they don't say much!

William Kendall said...

I voted in an advance poll at city hall, figured it was best to get it done early.

Christine said...

Now the signage can come down! Glad John Tory got voted in again as mayor of Toronto.

Anvilcloud said...

Our odious mayor is out: came in a distant third in a three person race. I was worried because he had more signs than all candidates for all positions combined -- or seemed to.