Sunday 23 September 2018

Ottawa Tornado, the goldfish pond and Susie Snake

Autumn is here. There is snow out west, (Red told me!), but they are hardy folks! Snow is falling in Northern Ontario, as well. After the winds and rain, this is the way she goes.


In the meantime, both Ontario Hydro and Ottawa Hydro are bringing people back up onto the power grid. First Responders are still out there, especially the OPP. Chainsaws are being fired up, and people are being warned. Food safety is an issue, the freezers thawing. Ontario has Disaster Recovery Assistance. Police are givings warnings:
As we enter day two of recovery, take care of yourself, take your time cleaning up and please check on your neighbour.

There were two tornadoes, F3. Gatineau, as well as Ottawa (Arlington Woods, Craig Henry, Greenbank Rd.: places where I lived),  and people are either evacuated, being put up by Red Cross, or repairing.
I used to live near Greenbank Rd., this is startling! One guy spent two hours on the phone waiting for his insurance company to answer the phone.


Back in the day, when I was a kid, whenever a snake turned up at the lake Mom and Dad would call it Susie Snake. The tradition of naming critters continues.
I watched her for awhile. She began on the far side, then skootched under the rocks to the end of the pond. I sat on a stool and watched her.

She was not too confident in snatching a froggie. Maybe it was me watching her! She did this weird head wagging.

The goldfish pond did well, after 34 mm of rain (1.3") over two days. The rainfall flowed from the roof, into the water barrel, into the pond, refreshing and flowing.
The first photo was from 2011. The rest are from a couple of days ago, Friday.


In preparing for the big winds, I took down the patio umbrella. A tree frog needed to be encouraged to go its way. It landed on the tabletop.



🎶🎶"One of these things is not like the other!"🎶🎶

5 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
only heard about your storm yesterday from my Gatineau pals; the have their generator to help them out, but otherwise without power.

I seem to recall something about snakes needing to 'triangulate' by shifting their heads... or is that an imagined memory??! YAM xx

Christine said...

Terrible about the Ottawa tornado damage! I better get my warm clothes out, snow up north wow.

Anvilcloud said...

There's a lot of people in a certain amount of distress right now. I don't suppose the seekers (for sustence and gas) came as far as Perth, but they sure hit CP.

Red said...

I didn't hear any prediction for tornadoes. did they have any warnings?

William Kendall said...

You wonder what the frog made of the artificial counterparts.

I didn't know it was a tornado until Saturday.