Saturday 22 September 2018

Catch-up: tornado, storm, dahlia

Friday

Well, I woke at 5:30 a.m., Saturday, hoping that we had power. We did. It was off from 7:30 Friday night until 3:30 this morning. I cannot imagine places like Puerto Rico, without power for months. We sat and read by flashlight, then konked out in bed. We were watching a video! There are quite a few social media posts about the tornado in Ottawa/Gatineau. The winds were wicked all day, culminating in a mess: 🌧️SEPT. 🍁.


You betcha, another dinner out at Rideau Ferry after I volunteered Tuesday. We keep thinking it's the last patio day, but they keep on coming.


ZZ top was there...



Do you think Perth needs a ring road? Roads created in 1816, with horses and buggies, aren't meant for big trucks.


Wednesday

OK, my health issues: my naturopath ordered a food intolerance test. It has made all the difference to JB. It may be a clue for me. Pretty difficult time. They had to poke both arms. I loathe needles. It didn't go well.


My dahlias were reluctant to bloom in the heat of the summer. They look lovely, now.

Hibiscus

Perhaps, the last roses...


Butch likes the feeder debris.


Another project, replacing the bird feeder for the mourning doves. It took some research. The squirrel baffle works as a rain hat.


#ONstorm the birds kept eating from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

10 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

We lost power for awhile, somewhere ~6pm. Yes, Perth main street is a bit crazy.

Christine said...

Glad you survived the storm, all the best for the food intolerance tests.

Karen said...

Glad you are safe and "only" had a power outage. We were off well into the evening too. I don't know how they managed to get us back on so fast because most of Renfrew Co. is STILL OUT!
I am just sick over the damage in Dunrobin and points east. We are still waiting to hear from brother in law and family who live in one of the severely damaged neighbourhoods.

Peace Thyme said...

The flowers are beautiful!! I get so upset that almost every vehicle on the roads lately is a huge truck!

William Kendall said...

We lost power around six, and it was still out this morning when I left. I don't know if it'll be back, but a big chunk of the downtown core was dark through the night. I didn't know a tornado had been involved until I got online. A lot of places are still knocked out this morning, including internet providers. My primary library branch was closed.

Powell River Books said...

We turn our cabin power off before we go to bed. We like reading on our Kindles after that. The cases have a built in reading light the runs on the power from the Kindle. It's amazing how long it lasts for night reading. Even with the light on I don't have to recharge for several days. Of course our Kindles are the old paperwhite version. Newer ones with colour screens take way more power to run. - Margy

Nancy J said...

Years ago I had an allergy test, about 24 lttle scratches on my back, all numbered, and a drop of each substance on the scratches. Maybe it is different now. The rain, a brolly, and dining safely, that is so beautiful.

Olga said...

We lost power four times last night, never for very long -- but the winds were something else. I thought for sure I would see some of the trees pulled up by the roots this morning but everything looks normal today.

I love the frog on the lily pad! Is it really purple?

Red said...

the most important thing is that you are safe.

Little Wandering Wren said...

The storms the world over have caused such havoc, it is all around us in Asia, so far it's just the usual monsoonal deluges here. Glad your power was off only at night time!
Good luck with your food allergy tests, I have several friends who it has really helped. Although we paid a fortune for our eldest daughter to have this done and her No 1 intolerance was bok choi - never a child to love her greens and now we know why but never something she eats so tricky to eliminate haha!
Wren x