Tuesday 21 August 2018

This 'n that and drought

Tis sad. The one monarch caterpillar I watched spin itself into a chrysalis, died. It just turned black. I am so sad. My mood has improved, thank you for your kind wishes. I'm just feeling gray these days. I'm trying not to let this all get to me. We have more. I have to remember that.

My faithful readers know we've had a drought. It's normal in August, more or less, not to have too much rain. This is ridiculous, though.
Perhaps we will get rain today. The irony is, I'm feeling well enough to go for a canoe ride, I have gone out once this year... I have half a mind to give it the the people who let me park it in the bay. 
I'm also toying with the idea of taking all of my books to the landfill. I still have 6 boxes of 24 books each. I just cannot move them, and it is discouraging.

Not only have I grown some fine cherry tomatoes, but these two plants are mini pumpkins, doing nicely, have seeded themselves. I used a tomato cage to help them grow up.

My water barrel was full. "WAS" I keep it for spot watering. No more. I think Butch Raccoon managed to twist the outlet and let it all drain out! Those danged opposable thumbs! I cannot think who else would do this! I did laugh. We anticipate rain today, although the garden is coming to its end, with the drought.


The weeds are growing well. JB watches Annabelle and Daisy have some fun. On the lawn common mullein and the blueweed. I drained the kiddie pool. It's drying. All the green? Weeds! I mowed them yesterday.



A sawfly larva, Diprion similis



Susie snake was back. My dad always called them Susie Snake. Thing was, his nickname for me was susie! But then, we had a dog named Jenny, too! Just have to laugh.

The goldfish pond is like a food court! I think we are down only two frogs, though. I counted 24 yesterday.


The poor fella has a hurt leg. This is down the hill, in the meadow. I hope it feels better soon. Coyotes are an important part of our ecosystem.


9 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Sorry about your caterpillar.
It's supposed to rain today and tomorrow. Let's hope it doesn't pass us by.
Can the books at least be recycled?

DeniseinVA said...

I am sorry about your caterpillar Jenn and hope the poor coyote heals quickly. Your love of nature comes through loud and clear. It is very heartwarming. Perhaps you can point your trail cam towards the rain barrel to catch your culprit. I am enjoying my new camera out on our back deck immensely and love seeing what it captures. It is like a gift every day to see what is about. The raccoon wasn’t back last night. Just as well I suppose :) but I do love them even though I know they can cause problems. I have never experienced those problems myself. Just the joy of seeing them on Disney movies or the like growing up in a country that doesn’t have them, and seeing them for the first time with my own eyes in my late 20s when we moved to a navy home situated on the edge of a wood. It was magical :). Hope your day is a great one.

DUTA said...

One of my blog followers thinks perhaps Monsanto is behind drought using some special satellites. I don't think so, but whatever it is, we should carefully look around us so that we're not caught unprepared by fires and floodings, as this seems to be the new Reality.

William Kendall said...

Yes, a trail cam might show if Butch is behind the shenanigans.

Karen said...

The critters are going for the rain barrels to find a good drink. I found my flying squirrel floating in mine, sadly.
I had a good look at my milkweed yesterday. No sign of any more caterpillers or crysallis, but there are more eggs! I have high hopes.
We had a copper snake in the sunporch where we keep the garbage and recycle bins......I'm not dealing with that at all.

Nancy J said...

You care so much for all creatures, at home and in the wild. Life is tough out there, and I too hope that leg heals.Meantime he is happy in your garden. Hope the rain comes, we have a lot down here. " Beam it up, Scotty" as the saying went.

Christine said...

poor coyote.

Red said...

You keep yourself busy all day by checking on so many plants and critters.

Angie said...

I am touched by your concern for the caterpillar - what a large heart you have, my dear. I do wonder about the coyote - what do you imagine happened to his leg? He must be near the top of the food chain? I hope you get the rain you need; we are supposed to get some this evening. Fingers crossed!